Saw Sharpening

I need to get my TCT circular saw blade sharpened, or is it worth bunging it in the bin and buying a new one?

If sharpening is an option, has anyone got any suggestions for a saw doctor?

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Typing 'saw doctors' into google gets you "Ireland's most underated rock outfit" Personally I'd treat a TCT blade as disposable, strangely I've found my 40T wore out a lot quicker than the original 24T which is still going strong.

It would seem that sharpening is only worthwhile on large and/or industrial blades.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

I bought a diamond sharpener from Axminster that looks a bit like a pen, the blade retracts and is flat on side, half round on the other with a groove in the half round. I have resharpened a TCT circular blade using this just allowing the face of the tooth to guide the angle and marking the blade with marker pen at start and finish points before turning the blade around and doing alternate pins. Took some time, clamped it in a wooden faced vice but it is a lot sharper now and lots of tungsten carbide left.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Andrew, what have you been cutting? I have cut through nails with mine and the cutting edge is still good. Have you checked that the blade has not lost its set. My TCT blade was struggling a few weeks ago and when I checked and corrected the set, it was up and away again.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I was cutting some timber a couple of weeks ago, very gently so as not to put the blade under undue pressure, and it was smoking big time.

My radial arm saw has been restored from a collection of bits over the last couple of months - it's been standing around for a few years. Can't remember the last time I had the blades sharpened or replaced but it may have been 15 years ago ;)

It hasn't had a whole lot of use in that timeframe though.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Mine neither, but check the set of the teeth. Every alternate cutting edge should point the same way sideways and every one between should point the opposite way. (By about 50% of the thickness of the blade) This gives the blade a clearance to get rid of the sawdust and pass through what it is cutting. From what you are saying, it sounds like the blade is binding in the slot it cuts, hence the smoke.

Get a short, straight object, hold one end towards the centre of the blade and see if the teeth project outside of the plain flat face of the blade. If they don't, then get a saw set and set each blade to point sideways as appropriate.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave