Satellite dish positioning

In the UK, the Astra 2 A-B-D - Eurobird 1 bunch (at appx 28.2) are at an elevation of around 25 degrees, depending on your latitude. It's surprising how low that is!

BTW, I'm also in the process of getting a satellite system going, and I find that this is definitely one of the more useful sites for programme and channel information:

Reply to
Ian Jackson
[......] but is there any chance of

ISTR that reflection also rotates the plane of polarisation by 90 deg. Which would confuse these LNB things, because apparently different channels are transmitted with different polarisations.

I read that this is the reason why you need LNBs with two or more outputs if you want to have two or more TVs able to receive different channels at the same time - a single LNB output can be switched by a single sat receiver to receive differently polarised signals, but it can't be set for both vertical and horizontal polarisation at the same time.

Or that's my understanding.

Reply to
Windmill

Good idea. My experience (such as it is) is all with WiFi signalling which seems to bounce off all sorts of things.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Close enough but remember if you are talking about a Sky "mini dish" they are offset dishes. This means that the face of the dish is more vertical than one would expect.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:11:54 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

In southern Scotland the dish of offset dishes is usually pretty much horizontal. In the north the dish can appear to point downwards.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , David Hansen writes

I think you meant 'vertical'.

From Gretna Green to Lerwick (which is a long way east), the difference is about 3 degrees (for an elevation of around 17 to 21 degrees).

From Gretna Green to Kirkwall, it's a bit less.

Ian Jackson

Yes Horiz and Vert..

Almost there!, the LNB can also be switched to cover a "lower" and "upper" part of the band as well as V and H polarisation!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thank you for the links; they appear to be very detailed. After I get the dish up the info will be vital (once I understand it!).

Unless the satellite turns out to be behind the wall.

I was going to buy a compass on Ebay but found that the seller would only accept payment through PayPal, who require one to accept what seem to me to be extremely high-handed and intrusive Terms and Conditions. (Otherwise I'd be jumping at the chance to use them.) You don't necessarily discover the restriction until you try to pay by credit card, when the statement 'PayPal preferred' turns out to mean 'PayPal required'. It seems that Ebay may have purchased PayPal.

Mutter.

If the on-line maps are correct, all I really need to do is to align the dish with the line of the wall then see if I can get a signal somewhere close to that position. So having a compass may not really be too important.

Reply to
Windmill

The online maps should be correct. If you print off the image of the satellite view of your house, and the direction of the satellite, you should be able to guestimate accurately the direction of the satellite relative to the lie of your house.

You might find it extremely useful to have a satellite finder gizmo - a signal level meter which looks at the full band of output signals from the LNB. They are only £15 maximum - even from Maplin! I got mine at B&Q.

Don't forget that the polarization of the signals is 'skewed', so they don't arrive exactly horizontal and vertical. The LNB will need to mounted so that it is also skewed (rotated in its mounting clamp). In the case of the 28 degree east satellites, the skew angle is around 13 degrees clockwise, looking towards the dish.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Useful info; thanks.

Reply to