Cooking Appliance Diversity

Hi all

OK, so I am trying to get my preparatory work done before first fix inspection and wanted to confirm the existing cooker cable size. As I started all this before the 17th Edition, I intend to work to the 16th, as directed by the Electrical Safety Council.

So, I am looking in the On-Site-Guide at Table 1B Allowances for Diversity.

My installation will have a single 6mm cable from the CU to the kitchen loft. In the loft is a junction box to split the 6mm feed into 2 x 6mm feeds for the hob and oven. As the oven and hob are separate and more than 2m apart, I will have an individual isolator for each item.

Looking at the diversity calculation, I think my scheme will work either way but....

From a point of view of diversity and resulting current draw, should the hob and oven be treated as separate items i. e. the first 10A for each, then 30% of the remainder? Or should they be treated as "cooking appliances" as a group, with the maximum current draw combined - then the first 10A taken etc..?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Page 153 of the 16th edn OSG.

Basically a 32A circuit is usually appropriate for cookers of rating upto

15kW.

And there is no problem with splitting the circuit as you have done.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" wrote snip.......

Thanks Adam

I was referring to an older OSG which didn't contain this gem!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It saves all the faffing about doing diversity calculations:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth