Cooker Cable Size

Hi all

Can anyone advise me on cable size for new cookers please?

Currently there is a 6mm feed for a distance of about 20m from CU to wall point. This serves a Creda double oven and separate hob (both to be replaced during kitchen refurb). The feed includes a junction box from the time of the kitchen extension addition. By re-routing the first "leg", I believe I can reduce the distance to the junction box to about 12m. I then intended to put a more substantial jb at that point and run separate

6mm feeds to oven and hob. The initial 12m run is located in the first floor ceiling and grouped with the main "wiring loom" for power, lighting etc. The jb and two separate feeds will run across loft space above kitchen extension and then plastered into wall (say 7m max length total each separate feed).

So the key question is:

With this arrangement, will 6mm from the CU be OK for most modern oven/hob combinations, or do I need to replace all with 10mm?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:41:06 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

You really need to tell us about the sort of oven and hob you are looking at. Double oven, single oven, grill? Halogen hob, induction hob? Look at a few manufacturer's catalogues and give an indication of what it is you intend to connect.

Reply to
David Hansen

"David Hansen" wrote

Thanks David

I was kind of hoping for: As long as I'm not going for an industrial grade installation, 6mm will be OK! Was that just wishful thinking?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:53:27 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

Yes. Nobody has any idea what sort of oven or hob you intend to use. Find an example that is the sort of thing you are looking for and perhaps someone will be prepared to help you.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:41:06 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

A few more questions before anyone can even begin to feel kind enough to answer your question.

What is the rating and type of protective device?

How many circuits is it grouped with and how heavily loaded are they? How are the cables fixed? Are they clipped to a wall, run in trunking? Do they run near a heat source?

Ambient temperature? Thermal insulation?

Plastered directly in the wall, or in a conduit?

Reply to
David Hansen

"David Hansen" wrote

Thanks Dave

I'll have to get her indoors looking through the mags. Will start a new thread once the details you have outlined are available.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster