Sat navs

Or an anti-tank mine!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

A while ago, there was someone on here who was always getting one of his fence posts mangled by an (unknown) neighbour using an adjacent shared driveway, to a car park at the back I think.

He was planning to replace it with a steel one made to look like wood. He never did come back and tell us how well it worked - presumably he would have identified the neighbour by the mangled car...

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I worked as a stop-go man we had some lorry drivers who ran our cones over so fun. So we started putting upright bricks in a few of them. It worked, and was fun to watch.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Heh. Reminds me of a traffic cone that was over a solidly-mounted pole. Oops.

Reply to
grimly4

Personally I find if doing a trip that I only do infrequently, the satnav makes it more relaxing since you don't have to worry about remembering which turn off to take from the motorway etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Autoroute sounds good. How often does it update its maps ? Do you have to do an update to get them ? What do they charge for the updates ? Can you install it on more than one PC ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

True. However, I love using OS maps at 1:25000 on my android phone with a walker's GPS app. We have 100's of rights of way round here, all through interesting or nice woods, meadows and stuff.

Rather than poncing around trying to locate an obscure path (as opposed to walking into the pig slurry pit) I plan a route then follow the map.

At least with OS maps loaded, I can teach the kids how to star understanding the symbols too - one day, we will do a walk the old fashioned way with nowt by compass, pencil, ruler and a paper map - it's always good to have a backup for when the batteries are dead, or WWIII knocks out half the GPS sats ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts