Sat Nav

The correct Sat Nav might be, but the wrong one not.

I was with my friend and his new toy this weekend and taking his off the A roads was most enlightening.

We drove onto a B road to stop off at a small village on the way (we hadn't bothered to program this point). Yet despite the road ultimately going to the same town as the A road the Nav insisted on routing us back to the A road by whatever convoluted route it could find, even though the route back was almost as long as staying on the B road to the final destination.

I suspect that the average speed programmed into the machine for B roads was about 10 mph (we were averaging

55) and 60 for the A road. This might be programmable, but we couldn't find it.

I don't think my friend will be using his Nav much for local journeys.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

AIUI the problem last Friday was actually getting off the M25, not finding the alternative route once you were off.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

To think that one lorry load of plasterboard could knock out Heathrow and Gatwick for a whole day in the middle of the holiday season. How fragile our arrangements are!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:19:39 +0100, "tim....." mused:

Mine does that. The trick is to know where you`re going before you start! If you know it`s going the wrong way just re-enter the destination and it recalculates a more direct route rather than trying t drag you back onto the main route.

You have to know how it works to get the most from it, sat nav isn`t just a plug and play device IMO.

Reply to
Lurch

Lots of 'cheaper' ones only have main roads in Europe - if at all. But with my Tom Tom you can buy additional cards for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't blame the truck, blame the jobsworths who were supposed to handle it.

The police never seem to miss a chance to close the busiest roads for as long as possible given the slightest excuse. Someone should tell them what it costs.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I could get extra maps for the Garmin, but I use it for walking really, having it on while in the car is but amusement: the tracklogs are interesting and can be transferred to Google Earth etc. The Garmin 'maps' look horrible, so I stick to paper for real route planning, and the GPS for position.

Reply to
djc

Would you care to name and shame?

Andy.