Sand blasting small area.

I need to remove some masonary paint off a sand faced brick wall without damaging the surface too much and I thought a sand blaster may be suitable. Anyone any experience of these things ? I've never used one. I't's only a small area of approx 18ins x 18ins. I want to stick some very precious hand painted tiles on to the wall and I don't want to risk them coming off at a later date. Any advice re sand blaster hire and use? would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Sounds a bit like overkill to me, especially if the area concerned is going to be concealed under tiles. Wouldn't a simple rotary wire brush jobbie on a drill/angle grinder do the job adequately?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sandblasting would tear the brick surface right off. Maybe try paint remover, or a blow torch.

NT

Reply to
NT

You can buy sandblasting attachments for pressure washers, but you would need a very powerful pressure washer to remove masonry paint.

If you prime the wall with PVA & use a good exterior grab adhesive - it would be easier to pull a sailor off your sister.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So very precious tiles on an otherwise just painted wall?

You might want to consider some form of frame to provide edge protection, a hardwood bead around, painted if you want it to vanish into the surrounding painted surface. You could even put coated non- reflective glass/acrylic in front of them for added protection.

Fischer do hidden mirror fixings, no idea if suitable for the tiles (treating them as a fragile glass material).

Reply to
js.b1

IOW these hand painted tiles are so "precious" to you, that you want to attach them so firmly to a wall that there's no possibility of anyone ever removing them, ever again, without possibly destroying them in the process. As against say simply mounting them in an 18" x 18" wooden frame. Yup that sure makes plenty of sense.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Bolton

Many thanks to all for your suggestions.

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill