Sacrifice

I've never used thorns on 78s. I always assumed the thorn was trimmed with a knife & used just the same way as a steel needle. I'm told it does affect hf response a bit & they only lasted one play.

the low tracking force & pressure is why it doesn't. Acoustic 78 players OTOH routinely used 2oz head weight!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

78s were originally rated to last 50 plays.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

it never ceases.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not so often seen these days, but replaceable heels and soles are sacrificial in that they protect the rest of the shoe.

Reply to
John J Armstrong

Heels are to enable riding horses with stirrups.

Reply to
Max Demian

In message <y9Odnc8 snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Jimk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

There was a bit of an umpty in F1 some years back where drivers were deliberately driving over track rubber to add weight to their cars prior to end of race scrutiny.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They have always done that. They still do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher