Running two monitors from DVI

That is, or should be, a software matter, nothing to do with the ports in use. If the OS supports it you can either have an extended desktop or do mirroring (same stuff visible on each display). You might use the latter for teaching, one screen on your desk the other being a projector.

Depends on OS support.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So we've now gone from a blanket statement that "you will", via "I've never seen one that doesn't" to "in my experience, most", whilst changing the subject in the process...

Way to go, Bod.

Reply to
Adrian

They usually have mirroring or show different things.

Most cards I have seen can support VGA and DVI/HDMI at the same time. The £20 one in the media centre can manage DVI + HDMI.

Reply to
dennis

As a matter of interest, would I get better results by connecting my new-ish Benq monitor via DVI? The (also new) Club3D Radeon graphics card has DVI and VGA outputs, but because I've only ever had VGA monitors before (and only had a VGA cable to hand) I just connected the monitor to the VGA output, leaving the DVI unused.

Now I've been given a Raspberry Pi with HDMI to DVI cable for crimbo, I've used the DVI on the monitor for the first time and it worked (from the RPi) straight off the bat. But I'd need to buy a DVI to DVI cable to connect the *PC* to the monitor, so would this be money well spent?

Reply to
.

Theoretically yes, but in practice the difference is not very noticeable unless the VGA cable is cheap, long or nasty and you're using such high resolution or refresh rates that push the limits of VGA.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could you use one of these:

to convert the DVI into VGA and then split that analogue-ly? I don't know what resolution you run the Viewfinder at, but that adaptor will do up to 1920x1200 which might be enough. VGA splitters are available, or you might get somewhere by running into a KVM if you don't need each port at the same time.

Alternatively you could go passive DVI to HDMI cables/adaptors then an HDMI splitter (and HDMI to DVI cables?)

Potentially better quality but more passive adaptors.

(Onecall order codes that start with letters are really CPC codes in disguise)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The existing setup uses the VGA from either the RPC or the PC via a DA to feed the existing TV which has a VGA socket. I'm replacing the TV with one which only has HDMI.

However, the existing is less than ideal as I have to re-boot the RPC to use the VGA output - and I've not got an MDF which suits both the RPC monitor and TV. Even although both are nominally widescreen.

If I plug the new TV into the DVI output from the Viewfinder using an DVI to HDMI lead, it works fine using the same settings as for the RPC monitor. So all I really need is a way of feeding the two with the same signal. On Ebay, there are leads which take DVI in, and have two outputs, one HMDI, one DVI. So what I was really asking was if anyone had tried running two displays at once from one of these.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not necessarily. The graphics cards in my sel-build PC have two DVI ports and one HDMI. THe latter is postitioned such that it can't be used if a connection is made to either of the DVI ports.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

No - but I have very successfully used one of the USB- devices. Worked very well when I needed it.

Reply to
polygonum