running fan/light off 1mm

SWMBO has now decided we need a fan/light in the dining area of the kitchen !! is it OK to still use the 1mm T&E I have or does it need to go up to 1.5mm? unfortunatley I dont have the rating of the fan as I havent got it yet!!

other lights off that lighing cct will be a twin 5ft flourescent and two 300mm flourescent strips under the wall units.(I cant see the tubes taking more than 100w total)

cheers once again

Reply to
Staffbull

1mm's fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No. Depends on the MCB/Fuse. If it is a 10amp then 1mm^2 is not fine. 1mm^2 should be protected by a 6 amp MCB.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Given the minimal amount of other loading on the circuit I would wonder what was going on if I found a 10A lighting circuit there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's not that simple. On a 10A MCB, a run of up to 22m of cable is permitted in the OSG. (1mm^2 can be rated at up to 16A, depending on circumstances.) In commercial premises where 10A lighting circuits are more common, the length of cable runs often exceeds those permitted for 1.0 and 1.5mm^2 cable, which is why larger cables are often found on such 10A lighting circuits, but such long lengths would be very unlikely to be an issue in domestic wiring.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew, the total cable length including switch cables will be around 15m

Reply to
Staffbull

To answer your original question, 1mm is fine. Even if you had a 10A MCB on the lighting circuit (which is unlikely in a home) 1mm would still be fine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel