Running 2 x camp fridges off one gas bottle

Hi All,

I currently use a gas fridge when I go camping.

This year we will need 2. Is it feasible to run 2 fridges of one (Calor Butane) bottle?

Or do I need one bottle and regulator per fridge?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Can't see why it should not work. The consumption must be relatively low.

A quick google shows plenty of pre-regulator tees for a single bottle, presumably not what you want. Do you feel competent to make up your own to tee three hoses together? Many boat/caravan users must have cooker + heater + fridge. Or do people typically have a separate regulator for each?

Reply to
newshound

No, a single regulator seems to be able to flow enough gas for fridge, oven gas hob and heating simultaneously in my experience and this wasn?t a special ?high flow? one.

Our motor home fridge wasn?t happy on butane but this may have been due to the move by the manufacturers to a single pressure regulator for both propane and butane. This meant that it ran ?rich? on butane and sooted up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not a problem - as others have said, caravans have multiple devices supplied via a single regulator. You'll need a metal tee-piece and three jubilee clips after the regulator, with a branch to each fridge. Like this:

- or perhaps this if you want to be able to isolate each fridge:

(but you'll then need separate jubilee clips)

Butane is not good for high flows in cold weather - propane is far better - but the flow to the fridges should be pretty low, and butane will be fine unless you go somewhere with a lot of heavy frosts.

Reply to
Roger Mills
<snip>

That's not a typical setup. Most low pressure appliances operate at

28/29 mbar with butane and 37 mbar with propane with the appropriate regulator.
Reply to
Fredxx

It?s a common setup in newer motor homes. A single pressure bulkhead mounted regulator with high pressure hose(s) to the cylinder(s).

The regulator has some sort of impact detection built in to cut off gas as well as a ?high flow? cut off in the event of a large low pressure leak.

I?ve had caravans with the conventional different regulators for different gasses. My motor home was the first ?dual fuel? regulator that I?d come across and also the first time I?d had issues with running a fridge on butane.

Isn?t progress wonderful? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm surprised. I live and learn.

I guess progress doesn't have to be forward!

Reply to
Fredxx

One regulator per fridge, I'd imagine the bottle will just last less long so it might be better to have two for that reason alone I'd suggest. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Well I was always told use separate regulators, but this was back in my youf, so to speak. Maybe things have been made better now. Its odd that you really are not encouraged to do gas piping at home yourself but nobody seems to care what you do on bottled gas systems? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Fredxx explained :

That used to be the case, but a few years ago caravans/motorhomes swapped to a regulator mounted on the bulkhead, rather than the bottle. The bulkhead one is a compromise between the two pressures. From the bulkhead regulator then now use a high pressure pipe to the tank. The bottle end of which, uses an adaptor for each bottle type.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thanks everyone.

I might even try both fridges and the cooker off one bottle.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Fridges don't take much. Two fridges and a cooker should easily be handled by one, properly sized, regulator.

Reply to
Steve Walker