Run flat tyres

New car has run flat tyres and no spare. Is it at all possible to repair a puncture on these things ?

I notice BMW is selling insurance for them.

At a price.

A BMW price.

Reply to
fred

En el artículo , fred escribió:

uk.rec.cars.maintenance is that way ----------->

Most KwikFuck-type tyre places will tell you no. I go to a local one run by a couple of Polish lads who will do it for folding stuff and no questions asked.

They sell insurance for everything, the salesweasel creams off a massive commission.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Depends how flat it has been run. I wouldn't be to happy about reusing a run flat that had really been run flat as opposed to "just a bit soft" due to a slow puncture.

IIRC a run flat is constructed such that the inner surfaces of the tyre meet under the rim edge should the air pressure become too low.

The car makers use 'em so they don't ahve to supply an expensive spare rim and and tyre, even a "Qspace saver". The PR uses a "safety" hook to hang the reason on, ie safer in the case of a hi speed blow out. The down side is the limited speed, and range in "flat" mode, not much more

50mph/50miles and that writes the tyre off. Oh and they tend to have a higher rolling resistance so putting up the MPG...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

puncture on these things ?

I think that you can repair them, but only if you haven't run on them while flat - which rather defeats the purpose. I'd much rather have a spare.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I probably wouldn't run ANY tyre that had been run flat.

Did limp a mile home on one, but it was toast and so was the alloy wheel it was on. Thank you Council for that pothole

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was looking at a new Mini the other day, and at least as far as I could tell, it had normal tyres, no spare, and a can of tyre weld and an electric pump in the boot. This was factory spec.

As it happens I've changed the runflats on my own Mini to normal tyres. The ride is a lot better, but it's lost some of its sporty feel.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

I certainly wouldn't with an ordinary tyre, mind you more than 1/2 a mile at 5mph will kill and ordinary tyre.

"on one" what? Run flat or ordinary tyre?

As for repairs run flat or not you should only repair if the hole is in the center section of the tread, certainly not on the sholuders or side walls.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ordinary

even that is somewhat frowned upon these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , RJH escribió:

Have occasionally been tempted to do that on mine too, the ride is harsh and the roads around here are s**te, but...

... I like this more. The way it goes round corners like it's on rails puts a big grin on my face :)

Interesting that BM is including tyre weld now. It developed a slow leak on the rim of one of the wheels which the puncture repair places couldn't fix. Can of tyre weld sorted it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Sheffield roads dictated choice. Damps potholes a lot better - less jarring.

Well, it still does that :-)

Cruelly, it seems the 'direct' feel is one of the benefits of runflats, to me at least. The forums tend to go for win-win (grip, handling, noise, economy - 7000 miles for front runflats) with the swap. I've only had them fitted 2 months/1000 miles, so early days.

Mine (2008) didn't have any.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

How much do the tyre places surcharge to replace tyres on a rim that has been "tyre welded"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

7,000 miles is that all! Thats 5k short of the service interval on my car. If I only got that from a set of fronts I'd be taking 'em back as "not fit for purpose", 30,000 miles is more acceptable.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , RJH escribió:

2003. Might be the alloy getting porous, though it's only been the one wheel.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Liquorice escribió:

Dunno, but I'm sure I'll find out.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes - but more or less the same provisos apply as with conventional tyres

- only if the penetration is in certain defined areas.

BMW seem to think all their cars are bought by companies with money to burn.

The only benefits of run flats is they save the maker the space/cost of a spare. In every other way they are inferior to conventional tyres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what my VW Touran has. At the last service (at about 4 yrs old) they told me the tyre weld was out of date and needed replacing. About

40 quid they wanted for a new can! I told them I'd take the risk.
Reply to
pcb1962

Probably a fortune, despite modern versions being water based and just washing off (or so I've been told)!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

On both occassions where I've tried to use such a can, the hole has been too big to seal. I think I'll just stick to a spare!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW