Ruddle

Whilst creosoting and various similar tar preparations for wood might have been applied or used hot, raddle is a mixture of grease and dye. It looks like melted red crayon and marks like hell.

If it was ochre and tar mixed then applied, the tar would not seem more than black -a little reddish in some lights. Lanolin is a very sticky water resistant grease, not dissimilar to tallow (from another thread) in it's weather-proofing but much less likely to fall off in the rain.

Red ochre dusted over tar would serve what purpose? Stop it transferring to the clothes of passers-by?

Red ochre? Really? Only used at street level then?

Was the raddle not used as a cheap and easily found form of mastic waterproofing? From its place on your building what might one assume it's main use was?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

As I have been discussing this with various people I have been gradually discovering that I don't have grease and dye on my wall

No

But not black I think

Yes, and to look decorative

No, first floor level too

Decoration. The walls are pargeted with panels and the space between the panels is black-red

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

At the moment Stockholm Tar is my best bet for what was used. I know where to buy it too which is a bonus. I did a google and there is a good recipe on

how to use it on boats. The article says "Adding linseed oil helps on soaking in and as a bonus the tar doesn't get soft and sticky in the sun"

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Where I lived in Abergele, North Wales, a d-i-yer was putting such decorations on the sides of his house, one at (an incredibly long) time. He was painting them black as far as I know. The process was so slow that it took an observant man to notice the steady change. So I never found out how he was doing it.

Pargeting eh? I can't imagine how the flour lasted as long as it seems to have in your house's case.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Almost anywhere with a farm shop - it's used to seal wounds on sheeps' legs.

I'm surprised that red ochre was applied directly to tar. This must have been an awkward process to keep the ochre at the surface, or else most of it will simply be swallowed up.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I will check that thanks cos it might come at a better price

Yes I think it was to some extent, judging by the old remains under the eaves, but I will experiment, maybe it will be worth leaving the tar for a week or so before adding red ochre

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to