Cistern goes <thunk>...

One of my toilet cisterns makes enough racket to wake the dead (certainly wakes SWMBO if I flush at night anyway). It's a ball valve type, and we have mains-pressure water throughout the house. When the cistern finishes refilling after flushing, as the valve closes off there is an almighty, well, sound, which reverberates around the house.

Changing the valve to a Torbeck one is on my to-do list, but without knowing the cause, will that definitely cure the symptoms? We have two other loos in the house, one Torbeck and one ball valve, neither of which have a problem.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Is it only me or do torbeck valves have an exceptionally fragile feel to them?

Has anyone had one fail under mains pressure?

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

No, but my Torbeck goes , probably because I didn't use the little pressure reduction thingy that comes with it.

Reply to
stuart noble

While you're at it, fit a stopcock before the valve - keying it down slightly might help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could it be there is a point towards the end of the re-fill where the ball c*ck becomes "sticky" and doesn't progresively halt the flow of water untill sufficient upthrust is present against the ball to overcome the sticking point, slamming the valve shut?

Chsck the pivot point etc for freedom of movement would be my first thing to look at.

Reply to
Pet

I'm clearly losing the plot or getting old or something.... I just lifted the cistern lid and found it already has a Torbeck valve. Went to the box in the garage where I know I left the valve on my to-do list (ages ago), destined for fitting to that loo, and found it missing! So either the leprachauns fitted it for me in the night, or I must have done it myself sometime(?!?). Maybe the leprachauns forgot the pressure reducing valve thingy... Filling is extremely noisy for a Torbeck though - our other one is virtually silent.

Who said I didn't already have a stopcock?! I have turned it down a bit, and yes it does help some. Now a manageable rather than a deafening . So thanks a lot for that.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would have thought that a Torbeck valve was *more* likely to close with a thump than an ordinary valve. The benefit of a torbeck is that it fills quickly because you get full flow until very near the end. The downside is that, when it *does* decide to close, it does so rather suddenly!

Reply to
Set Square

Just fit one of the pressure reducing thingies in the in-pipe and either will be fine.

Reply to
G&M

My eventually loosened the compression joint and caused a leak, so I really must try and find that pressure reducer.

Reply to
stuart noble