RS & Parcelforce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager saying something like:

And saved you all the trouble of waiting for them to burn out and then recycling them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I particularly liked the tag at the bottom of the page - where it said

Copyright (c)2007 Your Company

Sigh!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

And another who lacks the capacity ...

"with a ton of salt"

Have you listened to, or understood nothing ? From that stupid comment, I guess not ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Wrong? Dunno, I'm just questioning the orthodoxy that adding salt to food (call it seasoning if you like) 'brings out the flavour'.

No, I understand exactly what you mean. I didn't say that it mean that you could consciously taste the salt, just that is the food is always seasoned with salt that maybe someone gets used to food tasting that way.

Maybe I'm wrong, it'd be interesting to see evidence on this, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm happy cooking they way I do, which is the important thing as far as I'm converned.

Reply to
chris French

About 20- 30 years that wasn't the case. We had to use Farnell or other accredited suppliers because RS insisted on remarking all their semiconductors. When a design specifically needed a Nat Semi 74xx it was no good fitting an 'RS 74xx' often with no date code. The propagation timing on some circuit designs was often a bit too critical, the setting of timing components varied between Nat Semi and TI so often an identical replacement was justified. Now and again the requirements even dictated a specific date code or a range of date codes, others might work but not repeatedly, the spreads on timing tolerances were such that even with parts from so called good date codes wouldn't always work in situ.

Sometimes, when the shit hit the fan we'd temporarily have to resort to the untraceable crap from RS in non critical areas. Now and again we'd apply toluene to the package and remove the markings to see what was underneath, often it was nothing, but occasionally it was the full traceable markings from a major manufacturer.

RS went out of the way to reduce visibility of the source of their components, maybe it was a marketing thing but it took them decades before they came into line with everyone else in the industry.

Reply to
The Other Mike

My experience in those days was much the same. OK for one-offs, but specifically banned for production.

IIRC, the main problem was that they had no process for back ordering. If it was in stock, they shipped it. If it was not in stock they told you. End of.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Royal Mail colect from regular customers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A bank? Like Egg?

They 'improved' their website over four months ago when they broke the ability to pay money in using a debit card that wasn't part of the 'Verified by Visa' system. It worked fine before, it doesn't work now. It works on other sites. They 'think' they might have a fix sometime in August (2010 I assume).

In message , Arfa Daily wrote

Nothing stupid about the comment. Watch any the Michelin starred chefs at work on TV and you will see how extra salt they add to everything. Look on the side of a supermarket meal where these same celebrities have lent their name to the brand. See how much salt they contain.

Reply to
Alan

I used to think that, until I noticed how much extra salt and pepper my wife added to the food I cooked. Since then, I have left her to season food at the table and there has been no rise in the amount of salt she uses. There is a very good argument about seasoning while cooking though, but I don't use it.

Yes, it is very easy to get lulled into that idea. The older we get, the more careful I am about limiting the salt in our diet.

Me too. The only naughties I do is to add salt and white pepper to mash potatoes along with some butter and a drop of full fat milk.

Dave

Reply to
dave

This has become a running joke at work. Our orders contain lots of things for different people. First time was many years ago. An order which contained both light bulbs, and a bulk box of D-cells. The box arrived with the D-cells obviously all loose, and powdered glass coming out of the box corners. Many similar incodents since.

I've also had the same fluorescent tube packer. These were quite short T4 tubes, all wrapped in bubble wrap, and then bound with sellotape so tightly round the middle that all the tubes were snapped in half.

Also had a delivery including 5 litres windscreen wash concentrate. Was following it on the UPS tracking, when it suddenly changed state to "package burst/spilled, returning to sender". I'll bet that was fun in the back of the UPS van, with all those Amazon orders...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Decadence

Reply to
stuart noble

And do you have a telephone number where I can get straight through to someone who will sort out a non delivery within 10 minutes?

Reply to
geoff

In message , The Other Mike writes

I probably still have ICs kicking around where the part number has been removed and the 6 digit (as was) RS code stamped on

Reply to
geoff

I closed my Egg accounts long ago, and I remember that it was because of the constantly broken nature of their website.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, but I once went blind in my left eye about 25 or more years ago. The doctors advised me to go on a low fat diet. I was on one at the time anyway.

I did this ,until I missed the butter in my life. No problems since though.

Reply to
dave

In message , Mike Harrison wrote

They've done this to me but unfortunately the particular sub post office they used was closed when I go to work and closed by the time I come back home so it's not a good for me.

Reply to
Alan

200,000 is a large town not a small village! 2,000 is a town, 20 is a small village. B-)

Round trip of 50 to 60 miles to any of the courier depots for us. Except perhaps Parcelforce if they use the PO local delivery office which is only a 5 mile round trip. I've never had to visit one as there is nearly always someone in and most drivers find somewhere to hide a package if there isn't. Not to mention that for 2 gallons of diesel I'd have to be in pretty dire need to justify the trip, might combine it with something else but generally advance planning means we are never on that tight a schedule.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My bits finally arrived yesterday morning. Ordered on Friday morning, acknowledged and dispatched by Friday lunchtime, and in a Jiffy bag. If RS had only done the sensible thing, and sent them via Royal Mail, they would have arrived Saturday morning. Wouldn't have mattered if it was a business or private address. The postie could just have shoved the envelope through the letter box. The post was here yesterday by 9am. DHL finally turned up with my bits, at lunchtime. I was on the phone at the time, so did not answer the door immediately. By the time I got there, the guy was ready to leave a note, and take the package back away with him. But why ? It was a Jiffy bag, addressed to the door that he was standing at. And that door has a bloody great brass letterbox by the side of it. It's just stuff like this that makes me wish that there was still some common sense in the world. Apart from which, I'd like to see the Post Office survive, which it won't, if all deliveries that would most sensibly make use of it, are given to couriers.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I've always found that RS and Farnell couldn't be more helpful on the rare ocasions when something goes wrong.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q