RS & Parcelforce

While I broadly agree with your sentiments (though, technically adding the correct amount of salt to dough, for making bread does seem to improve the chemistry of the bake) I should point out that there wasn't any food rationing in 1970.

Reply to
pete

Yup, they used to be a decent alternative to the rest of the tinned soup makers, now like the others they strive to sell salt water with added starch and fat in a tin.

Errg, haven't bought anything from them for some time now. Oddly, outside the UK, Knorr sell fairly decent soups in Tetrapak boxes. They don't seem to offer them here at all.

Reply to
Steve Firth

vegetables that have been boiled in fresh water are tasteless, and adding salt 'on the plate' is nothing like cooking them in salted water

Reply to
Phil L

If vegetables are tasteless then cooking them in salty water only makes them taste of salt. The problem with removing a lot salt from a diet is to get used to the taste of how things are meant to taste and not just the taste of salt. As I mentioned previously try (all) food completely free of salt for a couple of weeks and you may find that afterwards you dislike over-salted food. It's very much like smokers who can never understand how much they stink until they give up and notice the smell on other smokers.

I would suggest however that overcooking in plain water may impart the flavour to the water and so the solution is to cook them for less time, or perhaps a quick steaming.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Arfa Daily writes

I get this all the time "can't you just post it?"

No I f'king can't

Who do you think is going to leave work, go 15 minutes down the road, stand in a queue behind half a dozen people for another 15 minutes and then come back having lost all in all about an hour of productive work

Reply to
geoff

Just what I need ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff wrote

Probably the correct thing to do if you don't want repeat business.

These days you could print off your own stamp after paying on line.

My gripe about a lot of companies is that they over-pack items. Something small and unbreakable that should be sent in the smallest jiffy bag will treated as a priceless Ming vase with a ton of bubble warp. I'm sure that the unskilled people they employ in their dispatch departments sometimes have competitions to see who can pack the smallest item in the largest box.

Reply to
Alan

conversely until you have seen a box full of balsa wood marked 'fragile' BROKEN IN HALF with tyre tracks all over it.... the cost in terms of wasted time money and customer relations is something else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Alan writes

Ha ha, so far from reality

Why do eejits say such stupid things ?

What on 20 items which I would have to leave work for to take down to the post office, losing potentially dozens of orders

... or send one of my employees to drop what they are doing

... or emoploy someone specially to do it - thus raising my prices

and then when they lose something "if it doesn't turn up on 30 days, fill in this form"

do get real

Reply to
geoff

Apart from CPC, who sometimes vary it, and compete to do the opposite.

"Jiffy bag? That'll do fine for this hard drive.."

Reply to
Bob Eager

CPC are the worst for that. Not so much over-packaged as over-sized boxes...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Don't you have minions?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I became worried after I'd ordered T&K brackets /and/ light bulbs on the same order from CPC. I needn't have, they arrived intact the next day.

Reply to
<me9

I actually do consider that factor every time I order. I sometimes deley the next tub of dishwasher powder for several orders, if those orders contain fragile stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've had what I presume were intact lightbulbs when they were dispatched from CPC in orders

even the replacements needed replacing

Reply to
geoff

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Yes, but they have work to do

It strikes me that some people think that we are sitting around all day waiting for their order so we can rush out and pop out down to the PO and spend an hour pissing about on dispatching this item they have bought for £30

... and when they return the exchange item, don't feel the need to put in the returns slip as I expressly instruct them to do as, surely I know who that suprima board came from

Reply to
geoff

I've been after a disk drive or two. I'm not risking that with what else I have currently planned for CPC despite reasonable prices. Seperate order, possibly elsewhere.

Reply to
<me9

But a company the size of RS is going to have Royal Mail collection, so nobody is going to have to go down to the Post Office, are they ? Do you drive down to whoever you use as a courier every night ? No, of course you don't. The whole point is that they, and others like them, used to employ common sense and joined up thinking, and use the delivery service that was the most appropriate and cost effective for the size of the shipment, and the destination. RS certainly used to send small local items out by Royal Mail. Now, some kid with a university degree in logistics stupidity, determines that everything is going to get sent out via some half-arsed courier that they've done a deal with to save a penny here and there, and sod the requirements of the customer ...

It is a sheer bloody nuisance not knowing when a small package is going to arrive, especially when parts are needed for a job in a hurry. It is also a bloody nuisance when they need a signature, and won't leave a package if they can't get one, even when it is in a Jiffy bag, and would fit through the letterbox. If you then need the bits in a hurry, you have to drive perhaps 20 or more miles to their depot, after the truck finally gets back, and before their collection desk closes. At least if the Post Office can't deliver personally, it's back with them just down the road, by lunchtime.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Best one was the 5ft fluorescent tubes. Wrapped in extensive bubble wrap with a label stuck on. No box.

I think they were folded to get them in the van. They were certainly folded when they arrived.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

I've not found CPC to be that competitive on hard drives

You do have to be careful, sometimes they are more expensive than the RRP

Reply to
geoff