Router Set - for DIYers

Hi all. I found a 66 piece router set on

The set has a VERY GOOD range of cutters. with 3 beading variations, and

15, 22.5, 30, 45 Degree chamfers See
cheap at =A3124.95 but the best starter set I've seen.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Well - I got a Bn'Q router set a couple of years back with 50 cutters in it, half of which are 1/2" collet - these are all 1/4" and therefore a seriously limited in what can be cut. So I got a 1200w router and 50 cutters for =A390 - and despite extensive router use I doubt I've used more than a dozen of them.

Gimmick and rip off - better to buy for a beginner to buy a small cheap set and add good cutters as he needs them, and finds what is useful to him,

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

1/4" shanks. Can't imagine why I'd want that many cutters on 1.4", rather than a few useful ones with 1/2" shanks.

I still do 80%+ of my routing with only about two cutters.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

'We are all in the gutter. But some of us are looking at the stars'

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Without know what the quality of the set is actually like, "rip off" may be a bit unwarranted. Gimmick - perhaps.

I agree with the principle of starting with a few basic cutters and then adding special ones as the need arises though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I said that I _used_ two cutters, I didn't say how many I had available...

For mouldings I prefer wooden planes anyway, or else a spindle moulder.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do little 1/8" shank router bits exist anywhere? I'd have a use for a couple, but never seen them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dremel make some, eg .

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Those are usually burrs, as you need a different tooth design from the classic flat two-bladed router once you go that small. A lot depends on the hardness of the material you're cutting. Once you're down to this size then it's practical to start working metals, stone, ivory, even teeth and these will further influence the tooth shape.

Dentistry is a good source.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thank you both, just what I was after.