Router cutter profile grinding service?

Can anybody tell me of one? I've got a short run of custom designed skirting to produce.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You're much more likely to find custom ground spindle moulder cutters I would think... but then you need the spindle moulder too.

Still, no job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool.

Reply to
PC Paul

So true and I see this as a definite up-side. Too far up for me though.

Moulding plane then.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

will do custom router cutters. No idea of price.

rec.woodworking might be able to help you with more ideas (although most people on there are yanks where wood is cheap and workshop space is easy...)

Reply to
PC Paul

You'd usually use a spindle moulder for this as the cutters are relatively simple to produce. But they're large and expensive macines, so it's probably best farmed out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the URL. :-)

Worth a quick invasion then. Operation Information Liberation.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You're right of course. But I'm a bit of a "Mr idée fixe-it" when it comes to D-I-Y. The fact that it's only 2 Metres of skirting plays a part too.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If it is only two meters, could you not get close to the profile required using a number of passes with a selection of "off the shelf" cutters, building up the profile from components if you see what I mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

can you not

a) form the shape from a set of existing cutters, making several passes

b) take a cutter and grind it yourself to the shape you want, using angle grinder and frequent cold dips? Should manage 2m no problem.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I do see what you mean. I understand that this is how many mouldings are produced. I like to consider available options and acquiring a cutter to do it in one is a current favourite. I have to admit that my d-i-y methods are way more self indulgent than they are efficient.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Great idea. I think that at the back of my mind I have an idea that if I beat around this particular bush for a while, I'll come up with a convincing justification to purchase a machine that will allow the cutter to rotate truly into the necessary grinding positions.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Probably cheaper, quicker, and easier to get Jewsons to make it for you.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yep, if I'd 've done even half my jobs the quick easy way, my bones would prolly have been getting crunched by Tasmanian Devils before now. A mixed blessing if ever there was one. :)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thinking along those lines I am sure I have seen a recent router cutter handbook (may have been the trend one) where they had a DIY cutter. It was basically a core of the bit with a clamping mechanism, and then a set of flat blades that you machine to profile before mounting in the arbour/cutter

Reply to
John Rumm

Your request tickled some synapses into activity; Trend says the following ;-

Custom Tooling We can design and manufacture router cutters for specific applications using the latest CAD/CAM techniques. Contact our Technical Support team by email or telephone 01923 224681 ...

see

haven't used this service, so this isn't an endorsement.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You'd be crazy to try and machine this yourself. Skirting is invaraiably 5 or 6 x 1 with a fancy bit on the top, ovolo or ogee. No one will notice if they're separate sections.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You mean like "The Night of the Zombie Skirting Boarders" kind of crazy?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

That sounds like the kind of kit for the job.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thanks. I'll look into it with enthusiastic interest.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You've not seem mine? Victorian? It's a very involved moulding and not available anywhere. But it is indeed a separate moulding on top of a plain piece of wood. The skirting is about 18" high and made from three bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)