Rough sawn untreated timber

Last time I looked yes...

Lots of places do CLS now it seems - i.e. sawn but slightly planed with the corners rounded off for safer handling, but plain kiln dried sawn carcassing should still be available.

CLS is often cheaper these days. You could always get the nearest equivalent to 6x2 CLS, and then just rip it to the desired height with a circular saw - the exact width will not matter for this application.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not only that, you have to take a bit more care cutting treated timber inside to avoid too much toxic dust floating about or being left in the fabric of the building.

Reply to
John Rumm

Alkaline copper quaternary if you believe:

John Rumm

Worth pointing out that "rough sawn" softwood isn't dry enough for interior use, and will almost certainly distort as it dries out. Roofing battens are sometimes actually wet to the touch, so heaven knows what the actual moisture content is. Standard PAR redwood is dried to around

17%, which is about right for this application.
Reply to
stuart noble

The timber came from Wickes, sawn and treated, then additional treatment was with Wickes rot/woodworm gloop of a couple of sorts - just on the bits that were cut and also those parts that would be inaccessible after assembly.

Reply to
PeterC

Well, if it's indoors and not in direct contact with moisture (e.g. concrete floors / walls) then I can't see a real need to use treated anyway. It might even be a hinderance in some situations, given how much it weighs compared to untreated.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It is dried to 17%, but then left outside in the rain, usually, in timber yards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any decent timber merchant stores it outdoors, but under cover. That's the best way to maintain the moisture content. Only the treated outdoor stuff gets rained on.

Reply to
stuart noble

Rough sawn, just means rough sawn. Larger timber sections (e.g.

100*225mm) are usually supplied rough sawn - structural stuff will be kiln-dried and strength graded as well.
Reply to
dom

yes, but the average humidity outside unheated, is higher than the average humidity indoors, heated.

For attic work, they are of course fairly similar.

But internal studwork will always shrink a bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bats Building Supplies, Strood. I buy loads of 4 x 2 and 6 x 2 for decks. Its sawn price, but so well sawn its as good as B&Q PAR :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Most timber merchanats are moving away from rough sawn ... to regularised or CLS sizes.

My local Jewson have gone this way, but when I wanted some sawn sizes .. they cut them for me.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:23:38 +0100, "Rick Hughes" wibbled:

Interesting - thanks :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

My local TP has gone that way too - all CLS, regularised, no rough sawn, apart from battens. Made it awkward when needing to complete some studwork already begun in 3x2 rough sawn ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster