Rough guide to price for renewing roofing felt

Any roofers here who could etimate (very roughly) what I could expect to pay to have the roofing felt on my average size 3 bed house roof renewed?

The felt has become dry and brittle and is letting rain in. I have done temporary repairs with filler foam as I was renewing the ceiling plaster boards, so had access to it. No attic space in my house.

I will be getting some quotes, but was just wondering if anyone here had an idea what it might cost me.

Reply to
dog-man

If this is a pitched roof, then there should be little ingress through the felt, and your problem may be with the tiles - ridges or valley.

Its very rare for felt only to require replacement on a pitched roof.

Felt on pitched roofs will normally only allow water ingress where it is torn, or if rotted at the eaves gutter . It does not deteriorate like flat roof felt. A patch repair at any tear or hole will suffice.

dg

Reply to
dg

Yes, it is a pitched roof.

Since removing the old ceiling plaster and lathe and old plaster boards to renew them, I have come across three slight leaks in three different places, but all on the rear of the house.

Filling with expanding foam seems to cure this, but I am just wondering if I should treat this as an emergency and have the roof redone or at least the roofing felt. It does appear to be very brittle in places.

Using binoculars I am unable to see any tiles that have moved.

I believe that the roof was retiled about 25 years ago.

Reply to
dog-man

Renew felt = remove roof covering = scaffolding.

Guesstimates; (concrete interlocking tiles ) Terraced circa £3500 Semi circa £4500 Detached circa £6000

This usually only becomes an issue when surveyors get involved (buying, selling house). Although the sarking felt does act as a second line of defence, it's main purpose is insulation. If you have leaks, look to the tiles / slates.

Hang on - No attic space ? Ceiling fixed to rafters ? Warm roof ?

-- WSB

Reply to
West Stand Bowler

This is a flat roof, then? Is it a simple construction, or multi- level? What measurements, about? How the roof is made will make a difference, too - if it's felt on chipboard, the whole lot may need doing. If it's on T&G it may well not.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Are you talking about sarking felt, applied over the rafters, with tiles of some sort on top? What sort of tiles?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The felt is not there to stop rain coming in..the slates/tiles do that.

You need it re-felted and re-toiled possibly, or some repairs done.

Anything from 1-10 grand..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, it is a pitched roof, and I am talking about the felt between the rafters and roof tiles (concrete, I assume).

This is an old Victorian house so there is no attic space the top floor has two bedrooms with obviously a ceiling above them, then rafters then felt, then tiles. Absolutely, no attic space at all.

The ceiling was looking very old and tired, so I removed it to renew. I definitely did not cause damage to the felt by removing the old ceiling.

The leaks were only slight, but it was obvious that the felt was in bad condition with holes and feeling very brittle.

I am about the add to my mortgage to do some improvements around the house and am looking at the need to budget for the roof.

Or I could just move, I suppose! :)

Reply to
dog-man

Are you saying that the upper rooms have sloping ceilings just under the roof joists?

If so you almost have to do the job properly - I'd strip and redo the roof and ceilings, and insulate with celotex.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most Victorian houses don't even have felt. Certainly, if water is getting past the felt, then you need to fix the roof, as there should be no water on the felt in the first place. The felt just provides a second line of defence (especially against powder snow).

Replacing in-situ felt isn't easy. You basically have to take the entire roof covering off, complete with battens. At least that is how they did it on my loft conversion before relaying breathable membrane and reclaimed slates.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. Cost wise I would guess about 2000, assuming the existing roof covering hasn't got too many broken tiles and the pattern is still available for spares.

With new tiles/slates, add another grand or two. More still for Welsh slate, rather than artificial or concrete.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's been re-roofed.

-- WSB

Reply to
West Stand Bowler

Well circa =A32000 is ok. I know this is a guestimate!

about 25 to 30 years ago, as both roof's on the ajoining semi's were done at the same time.

It is definitely concrete tiles and I believe that I see many of the same every day, so would expect them to be plentiful if any spares are needed.

I will get some quotes to see exactly where i stand.

Thanks to all that replied.

Reply to
dog-man