roof questions (flat and pitched)

Hello,

We have a car port on the side of our house. It is a brick wall several feet away from the house with wooden joists running between the wall and the house. On top of these is wood, on top of which is roofing felt. When we moved in recently, the surveyor said the roof would need attention.

If we were to replace the flat roof with another flat roof, I imagine the process is to remove the old felt and to examine the wood underneath. If the wood is rotten, it will need replacing, otherwise just put new felt down? Is this about right?

What if we wanted to put a pitched roof on? Would it be a matter of attaching a wooden batten slightly higher up on the house side and run sloping joists to the other wall?

For a car port, I imagine I could use plastic sheets rather than real tiles?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Yes

Any roof slope below 10 degs is classed as a flat roof, if you use any type of corrugated sheeting you may get capillary attraction below 10 degs. I don't know about flat twin polycarbonate sheets. You will have to fill in the gable ends of the slope and maybe a support beam across the middle depending on the length of the sheet.

Reply to
keith_765