Roof Insulation

You can get IR spot thermometers, but better is a thermal camera:

They're not cheap (£200 kind of territory, for the modules that plug into a phone) but they're very useful at seeing what's actually going on. In particular timelapse is handy to watch how the heat flows from one area to the next.

You can also hire them, or your local Eco/Green/Transition organisation may lend them out. Some councils also have them available, and there are schemes like these: https://octopus.energy/blog/flir-thermal-cameras/ Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks Theo :-)

They look fantastic but I'd feel the need to watch one at night instead of the TV to get my money's worth!

What about an IR temperature gun? I could use it to balance my central heating. Loads on Amazon, many from these Chinese companies that appear with odd names - and some reviews from people who received the instrument free in return for an honest review :-(

Any makes to recommend or avoid?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Cough. Hot air rises. Heat is radiated or conducted, or ...

Reply to
Andrew

My Maplin one is still working fine, 30 years after I bought it. Shame the same can't be said of Maplin.

Reply to
Andrew

I've got a cheapie from Lidl/Aldi - seems to work fine and insofar as I can tell reasonably accurate. Hours of fun :-)

I suspect RS etc. stock decent ones. I'm not sure what benefits you get by spending more - probably better calibrated. Mine's fine to get a ballpark idea of what's going on.

Reply to
RJH

They're useful & cheap. Brands? China doesn't do brands, whatever name's on them is meaningless.

Reply to
Animal