Roller garage doors. good? bad?

The tubular motors can be wound manually (incredibly slowly) but that relies on the gearbox being sound.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The mind boggles - an Overland Octoauto?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

LWB X308 alongside a smaller car.

Reply to
MattyF

You drift it in?

Reply to
Adrian

Yes actually, into my small garage, because the car has to go through the side of the garage, not the end. Garage open:

Garage closed:

MattyF

All I can say is that mine with the tubular motor in the centre of the roll, has given no problems what so ever.

I did once hand crank it and yes it is slow, just to see what it was like, but not unduly so.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

After a visit to my local supplier of garage doors (1st Choice Garage Doors

we've opted for a sectional automated door because (a) the roller shutter door is very insecure and (b) the motor is separate in a sectional door.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
RJS

Good choice - pretty much what I did!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Just out of curiosity: why is the roller "very insecure"? I have one (a crappy one, I must say), but I'd have thought it's miles more secure than the previous up'n'over door that we had.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

In message , Another John writes

Seceuroglide have a pair of 6mm (guess) bolts at the door top which engage in a toothed arrangement to prevent *lifting*. When my motor failed, I had to overcome these to open the door. Long tyre lever would do:-(

I suppose the aluminium slats would not resist a moving vehicle but I guess that is true of most doors.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

replying to RJS, Anthony wrote: I have 2 allugaurd doors and I am delighted with them,value for money and the installation staff are 1st class along with the support staff in the office,no question is to trivial.

Reply to
Anthony

lose to me. They want ~ £1,500 for a 3m (w) x 2.4m (h) door which see ms good value.

Roller doors can't be insulated.And draughty with all the horizontal joints . Whereas folding panel doors can be insulated and less draught. I have two Garadors. One up and over, one folding panel. Both good after many years. Folding panel has lots of hinges to lubricate. But better I think.

Reply to
harry

Since 2014 though I'd imagine the choices and costs are different. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed. Harry is also out-of-date concerning insulated roller doors:

Quote from the brochure: "All Autotherm doors are constructed from interlocking 77mm twin walled aluminium slats and filled with CFC-free insulating foam, which combines strength whilst helping increase energy efficiency with a typical U value of 5.2 w/m2 K."

Reply to
Jeff Layman

replying to Anthony, Tony Martin wrote: I had an Alluguard roller shutter door to replace my up and over garage door. Fitted well by 1st Class Builders of Norwich. The braking system failed after just over 2 years and, consequently, I was unable to operate the manual device. Alluguard were not interested in replacing the brake as, they say, it is not part of the 10 year guarantee and is only guaranteed for 2 years. Very convenient. It cost me nearly £300 to have it replaced by 1st Class builders, a job that took less then an hour. Most of the cost was the part supplied by Alluguard. I will not be using them, or recommending them, again.

Reply to
Tony Martin

I have had roller doors on my last two garages and much prefer them to up and over because you can park the car nearer to them and do not have to allow for the door swing.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

very true

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Changed my old (1970's) Harrison Up & Over garage door for an Allugard 77 Roller door in Aug 2018. Not a spot of trouble since and so much more convenient and secure. Should have done it years ago! It's made from double wall aluminium filled with an insulating foam, and fits between door pillars so doesn't take up excessive precious space. Fitted by Chamberlain Doors of Bolton who did an excellent job. Total including fitting and VAT, £1700. Well satisfied and can highly recommend the door and the company.

Reply to
petek

We had one fitted several years back (perhaps as many as 10?) and it has been excellent. The previous door was an 'up and over' with an old electric opener (fitted by the previous owner) which was getting more and more temperamental plus the door was pain to open manually due to the size (a double)- especially for my wife.

We shopped around and got a few quotes- we went for one in the middle, mainly as they seemed the most professional (as I recall the price was about £2.2k, including 2 remotes etc). You can open it manually, I've done it twice- once to check how to do it and once when we had a power cut. It isn't too bad but I think my wife would struggle but she could certainly get it open/closed if needed.

They are much better in terms of sealing- almost no draughts etc. We have a rubber strip on the floor that it seals against.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If you do get one, make sure the contract includes removing all the waste afterwards. MiL had one fitted and all the old door fittings and door were just left on the grass. Guess who had to chop it up and take it to the dump.

Reply to
charles