Roller doors with replaceable slats?

I'm replacing my beloved up-and-over plastic garage door because someone backed into it. I'm considering a roller door this time but just in case the next one suffers a similar fate, is there a type of roller door where any damaged slats can be replaced individually?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yes. All of them.

Reply to
BigWallop

Now that's what I call positivity!

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Roller shutters aren't rocket science Mike, and they all fit together like very simply indeed. I watched two guys extending a roller shutter only this morning, and they finished it before the kettle had boiled for their tea break. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Phew, That's a relief because if I'm anything at all, it's not a rocket scientist. :)

I can understand how it would be simple. Then again, I thought it would be just possible that there are some slatted types where replacement would be more of a problem. I'd want to avoid these.

Yes, well if people would limit themselves to tea, there'd be fewer of them backing into garage doors.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

ROFL!!! Quite right. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

One of the reasons I ask here is to get unbiased, non profit motivated opinions. I emailed one company with a big web presence and was told that the only doors with replaceable slats were both insulated and automated. If true, this will be relatively expensive. I may decide I want both insulated and automated anyway but it's useful to have a clear understanding of the options. More emails to more garage door websites then. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I would ignore garage door websites and look at commercial roller shutters.

Probably more likely to submit a businesslike quote rather than sending a high-pressure salesman, and much more likely to offer an emergency repair service.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That seems like a pretty sensible approach and it may turn out to be the best option. Right now my mind is doddering around the possibility that I can list a suitable range of door types, then try to get one of them from eBay. The selection on eBay recently have mostly been of the type that are abundant on garage door websites. Not a high percentage of commercial type and quality doors there usually in my experience. When they do need repair I hope they'll be d-i-y repairable.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Owain

Reply to