RIP DIY - longish rant

You've exonerated yourself :-)

It takes a strong person to admit a fault.

RFC?

We're all learning, all the time.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Request for Comment.

Part of the process of defining standards used for the Internet.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We got the idiot CORGI plumber from hell when we lived in London but had a rented property in Newcastle. We called this loon to do a CP12 and he diagnosed that the pump was seized so I changed it. It transpired that he did not realise that you need to turn the hall thermostat on to make the pump run. Fortunatly we had not paid for the CP12 and I told him that his money had been used on a new pump. He declined to sue.

What really annoys me about this type of stupidity/dishonesty is that I require a CP12 legally.

Still it was nice to turn the tables on him. Moral I would not entertain getting in a CORGI person after this but would rather do it myself.

PHIL

Phil

Request For Comment - these are the documents which define most Internet standards, everything like SMTP (mail sending), POP3 (mail receiving), NNTP (Usenet News), etc. has one or more RFCs defining exactly how it works.

Just do a Google search for RFC and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about how the internet works (and lots more).

Reply to
usenet

Until now I've known everything I wanted to know ... it's the things we don't know that we want to know about which cause questions.

Mary (aka Donald)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yeah ! That make sense. But what about the things you did know that you wanted know. They also cause questions.

Reply to
BigWallop

You probably don't want to know about all this stuff, although RFCs are a good cure for insomnia.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh, that's easy. I just ask about them.

Like RFC :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Bugger. I don't suffer from that ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

True-but: MoT tests show one model: there's a fixed upper charge, but garages can choose to charge less to bring in business (and, in practice, get the punter to spend their fix-it money at the same place).

Not that I don't think Part P is anything other than a move against the black economy, shamelessly disguised as a "safety" move - the latter given the lie by the stats you yourself dug up...

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

I'm sure that's true. I'm sure it's also true of appliances, vehicles and

How dull it would be to have no scars.

I'd rather have a somewehat shorter and more interesting life, frankly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote

Would this mean having a shorter but more interesting body?

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Hmmm.

It's not so much the length, but what you do with it.

Still, a short, sad one is in no-one's interests...

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS