Ring Main cutting wires or not?

Is it a good idea in a new ringmain to try not to cut the wires, but just cut the sleeves back and fold the coppers back on themselves?
If so then what to do with the double sockets which have two terminals for the earth wires?
[George]
On 08/06/17 14:00, DICEGEORGE wrote:

No one in the real world ever tried to do this to my knowledge.
On 08/06/2017 14:25, Tim Watts wrote:

They have, and they posted about it on this newsgroup.
--
Adam

I have done it a few times on completely new ring circuit installs.
The first time was 20 years ago in a computer room for lots of PC-type computers stacked on rows of shelves (not rackmounts) where the walls were lined with MK sockets on MK Premier trunking. I didn't want contact resistance adding up with number of sockets, so I carefully stripped and folded back double about an inch of conductor at each connection. 5 ring ciruits IIRC. These were all stranded singles.
A few years later when I rewired my parents kitchen with two ring circuits, I did the same there, but using T&E. It's a bit more fiddly and you need to feed a loop of T&E in through a single backbox punchout to get the sleeve over the folded CPC. It was a bit of a game I set myself, but I wouldn't go anal about it in a domestic situation - there aren't likely to be enough sockets for it to seriously matter.
Did same in my own kitchen rebuild a year or so later.
This all predated sockets with two earth connections.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 08/06/2017 20:46, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I didn't think you were obliged to supply an earth wire to both connections?
They are internally connected in the socket, aren't they?
On 10/06/17 13:46, Fredxxx wrote:

You're not - but it is considered good practise (if one falls off, the other still earths the socket) but it's a "+0.01% nice to have".
On 08/06/2017 14:25, Tim Watts wrote:

ISTR Andy G posting about it?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 6/8/2017 7:31 PM, John Rumm wrote:

I've certainly done it.
On 08/06/17 21:00, newshound wrote:

Well - I'm surprised...
I did not, and my loop readings were well within spec with a very good margin.
On Thursday, 8 June 2017 18:44:10 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

I've done it on occasion. Whether I'm in the real world might be debated :)
NT

You, me, and Andrew then....
On 09/06/17 14:03, newshound wrote:

I did it when I reired my mother's house about 25 years ago.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 08/06/2017 14:00, DICEGEORGE wrote:

In an ideal world one could argue its "better", and the kind of area where a DIY installer can afford to lavish the extra time on it. I am aware of some who have done it, but I don't think its very common practice.

Generally (some dodgy Chinese USB / Gadget sockets excluded [1]) you only need make connection to one or the other as they should be electrically joined in the socket. The exception to that would be when using "high integrity earthing" on circuits that are anticipated to have a high earth leakage current when in normal operation.
[1] ISTR bigclive had a video of a double socket with additional USB where each half had its own earth terminal.
--
Cheers,

John.

You might have a problem doing that at the CU. And the riser feeding that just uses screw terminals.

How to you fit earth sleeving without cutting the conductor - unless both cables enter the box at the same point?
--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

On Thursday, 8 June 2017 15:29:15 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

very marginal improvement in safety

strip them at the same point. But I wouldn't bother.
NT

Don't see how that helps. If sleeving is needed it must cover all the exposed conductor.
--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 08:09:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Isn't it a requirement to do it like this when a MEB conductor passes through a terminal?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 08/06/2017 18:02, Graham. wrote:

I assume that you are referring to bonding the gas and water using just one cable.
--
Adam

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 08:09:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Isn't it a requirement to do it like this when a MEB conductor passes through a terminal?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 08/06/2017 23:25, Graham. wrote:

Yup. The alternative is a dedicated wire to each service.
--
Cheers,

John.