Rewire Cost

Elderly relative has had some work done on her house through Social Security to adapt it to her disabilities. A new electrical circuit installation was made for the shower but the contractor said she should get a quote for a complete re-wire. And lo and behold he is going to give one.

The house is a '60's Wimpy Semi - 3 bedrooms. It hasn't been tinkered with and my advice is to leave it alone as it will not add to her quality of life and will give her a lot of inconvenience and a need to do some remedial decoration. She is in her '70's and I don't like to see her wasting money.

What do you guys feel would be a reasonable estimate?

I feel the only benefits will be: Earthed lighting circuit and MCBs. More sockets would not be a benefit as she has enough for her needs.

Reply to
John

You can do that without a re-wire. Also add an ELCB.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Assuming it's PVC wire, I can't see a strong case (or even a weak one) for a total rewire. There isn't a bad case for swapping out the CU, which will give most of the benefits. If she doesn't want more sockets, the existing wire is properly dimensioned, and it's PVC, then...

I'd want to investigate the wires, the quality of the sockets, before being comfortable with doing nothing other than the CU.

Replacing the sockets/switches/... would again not be a large job if it's needed.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I once had a 60's built flat - and the wiring was awful, and had obviously been installed that way. Unearthed metal conduit was the least of the problems. Perhaps you could persuade Social Services to fork out for an independent inspection and minimum safety recommendations?

Pen

Reply to
pen

as said you need to assess the wiring condition. It might be anything from ok to dangerous. Earthed lighting and mcbs are of little benefit really. You'd also get RCD, larger cpc and equipotential bonding on a new install. The only one with any significant benefit is the rcd, but again in no way is a rewire worth it to get that, and in no way is it needed at all.

Like you, I'd only rewire if its genuinely unsafe. And the spark's claims aint worth a lot to be honest. Sounds a bit harsh, but reality is a high proportion will say anything to get money. Sorry but tis my experience, mean as it is.

NT

Reply to
meow2222