retaining ring things wtf are they called?

Like a thin washer with serrated inner diameter that you push over a shaft to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.
Must be dirt cheap but can I find em on eBay?!
Cheers Jim K

Star washer?

Starlock ?
On 19/03/2013 15:29, Georg von Krapp wrote:

Yes that's the monkey
--
David

Part of the large family known collectively as pingfuckits, of small things capable of converting their stored potential energy into kinetic energy in the blink of an eye, or sometimes if you're unlucky, without the blink of the eye...
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 20/03/2013 5:11 a.m., Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Ah, the happy hours I've spent searching for circlips...

The domed one sided starlock jobbies i've always had to remove come off quietly with not much fuss.... but the little bastards are bending their insides during that process, so they never want to go back on without a fight,
There's probably a proper tool to remove them in a re-useable condition, and a couple of screwdrivers wiggled about between them and the non rotating parts of the item isnt it.

aft

the

thassem ;>))
Many thanks Jim K
On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:32:29 PM UTC, Jim K wrote:

sha Crown washer

o the

a sha

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)
"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?
Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed "thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....
Jim K Jim K

don;t think so - images (off goggle) show a washer with an *outer* of serrations (presume to resist vibration from loosening parts?)
"starlock" is the first dead hit, tho there could be others?
Waht I want one for is to secure the pedal of a kids bike back onto the plain steel spindle - the original is capped with a chunky chromed "thimble sized" cap - for weather resistance perhaps? - when in place you wouldn't know it was a starlock undemeath....
Jim K Jim K
-----
Prob'ly going to be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-Starlock-end-caps-STAINLESS-STEEL-dome-x-12-pack-/140920261937?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item20cf808d31

r a

caps-STAINLESS-STEEL-...
these be em
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261167583689
BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for this style?
Jim K

these be em
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261167583689
BUT I probly need a larger size.... is there another form of words for this style?
Jim K
-----
I think 'starlock domed' are the best terms. Maybe this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-3-8-Starlock-end-axle-caps-chrome-flat-dome-x-12-/140920262333?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item20cf808ebd I think they're only available in even numbered mm sizes.
On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:29:20 -0700, Jim K wrote:

STEEL-...

<http://www.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx/16227/Push-OnFixes/ CappedSpiderfixes/>
On 19/03/2013 21:29, Jim K wrote:

Spire washer (as opposed to spire nut)?
Starlocks are Made in Birmingham by Baker and Finnemore: http://www.bakfin.com/
Always worth trying the original manufacturer for samples, if you only need a few...
--
Andy

Jim K wrote:

retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.
Circlip? Or is that something else?
Frederick Williams wrote:

to retain something on it. From memory they are dished slightly on one face (the side that goes on first) so that the serrated bits bite into the shaft material.

Not circlips, they are not whole circles. Sorry.

Circlips need a groove in the bar to ping into... or a groove around the inside of a hole to ping out against, both types much prefer pingfuckiting across the garage of course,
No I wanted some small ones for a tape deck a while back. Grr. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim K" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Everybody chucks them out. Well, I did.