Resistors anyone?

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Reply to
Chris_W

Maplins?

Reply to
OG

0.125w isn't much seen these days. Have you tried Ebay - postal charges shouldn't be much for that sort of thing.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:30:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris_W had this to say:

You're looking for ohm delivery?

I've got a bandolier of almost 2000 1k2 1% titchy Corning resistors.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Chris_W writes

How about 1/4 watt ?

will they fit ?

Reply to
geoff

They're in Gateshead (Metro Centre).

Reply to
<me9

The only range they do is their 0.6w 'min res'. Which are physically bigger than 0.125w types. Which as I said are going to be hard to get retail - ie in small quantities without paying a minimum charge or high post and packing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As has been said 0.125W is rare these days you'll find 0.4W in the same sized package though if the physical size is a restriction. MR40 I think (I was looking at resistor sizes/powers the other day). Have a look at Rapid Electronics but you'll have to buy 100 for around a couple of quid, don't know what their delivery charges are like.

Near the Metro Centre, they are actually in a small retail park that you have to approach in the one way system from a single direction. Get it wrong and you have to start again and again... I was almost tempted to park on the grass behind the store a while back as I could see it but could I get to it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT

Reply to
NT

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding lots of those within your 1% margin. Tempco won't be as good, so not always suitable, but often is.

NT

Reply to
NT

if you can make do with 1/4 watt, try

They have a flat rate of £1.50 for postage, which makes them a good choice (IMHO, no connection) for small orders.

Reply to
pete

pete wrote: try

They have a flat rate

Recommended. I use them as well.

Reply to
Adrian C

Maplins carry those.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out - so no chance!

Reply to
Phil Jessop

lots of

Depends if you want to be within 1% of the nominal value or 1% within a value within the 5% range of the nominal value. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm pretty sure they're not made like that anymore.

Back in the days of E6 (20%) and E12 (10%), they were made with fairly random values but as the tolerance of each ran into the tolerance of the next in the series, they could just be sorted on value, and every resistor fitted one value within tolerance.

Nowadays, all the resistors I buy seem to be 2%, which is the E96 series. However, most suppliers still supply only E24 values, albeit still at 2%. This means the are large gaps between valid values of 2% resistors in the E24 series (not worked it out, but if you take random values, I suspect somewhere around 75% of them will be invalid E24 2% resistors).

However, resistors aren't just crude carbon rods anymore. They are made to have the required values, and can be laser tuned during manufacture. I suspect if you bought a bag (or bandolier) of 100x 5%, you'd be more likely to find they all +3.55%, or some such.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you know someone who works at a local school or college you might be lucky.

Reply to
OG

Oops, E48 series. (E96 series is 1%).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't think so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Cheers for the replies. I tried Maplins but they had nothing close in stock, as per usual. Stumbled upon this little gem -

and they have them in stock at crazy prices (=A31 delivery).

Reply to
Chris_W