Reseating taps

The taps in our kitchen were here when we moved in ten years ago, and are probably at least twenty if not thirty years old, judging by the rest of the kitchen.

The taps drip, and are not easy to open or close. I've changed the washers, but that only provides temporary relief, so I'm guessing the seats need recutting.

I don't have a cutting tool, and have never done this job before, or seen it done. The taps are standard mixer pillar taps. Do I need something like eBay item 130670022207?

News

Yes. That's the one. don't get too enthusiastic with it. A couple of twirls are usually enough.

Reply to
harry

I'd have new ceramic cartridge taps. My Ideal Standard Dualux have been running for 30 years with no work required.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

In message , News writes

My experience of tap re-seaters is that the cutter *chatters* in work and fails to give a smooth finish.

If a brass seated tap has been allowed to drip for a long time, there is often a channel cut across the seat by the flowing water. By the time you have removed enough metal to get below the channel the *washer to seat* contact has become very wide which is a recipe for poor sealing.

good luck and IANAP!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Assuming the seat hasn't cracked. Have a very close look at the seat before you recut it and again afterwards. There shouldn't be any radial marks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , News

IANAP! = I Am Not A Psychologist????

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In message , Muddymike writes

P covers a multitude of possibly actionable inaccurate advice:-)

In this case Plumber.

I actually come under the *F's*

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Plumber...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Replace.

You know you want to! And although that tool doesn't cost a huge amount, it might pay the delivery of a tap rather than waste time and still not be satisfactory.

Reply to
polygonum

Sounds like another reason to repair the seat with epoxy instead. I've not tried this, but expect I will one day

NT

Reply to
meow2222

As Tim Lamb observes you'll often have quite a deep channel worn in the seat after it's been dripping for a while (that will often look suprisingly as if it's been neatly machined: the power of flowing water to erode metal!), and you'll be forever trying to cut back the seat to the bottom of the channel with this sort of hand tool. I modified mine so I can drive it from a cordless drill (also helps get a smooth-ish finish) but there are re-seating tools designed for use in a a drill (if I could remember where I've seen them!)

Unless the taps are good quality, of particular sentimental value or impossible to remove I'd consider replacing them.

Reply to
YAPH