Airlock??

Can anybody help please? This morning I changed two tap washers (kithen and bathroom sink). In order to do the bathroom one (hot) I had to turn off the hot water header tank feed to the immersion heater tank. This was very tight and in the end I resorted to removing the Red handle and using a spanner on the square section of spindle. Changed the tap washers and went to turn on the feed to the cylinder. The handle just turned and turned. I removed the centre spindle assembly from the gate valve only to find the inner screw was mashed and the gate valve was stuck shut "Oh well I thought, never mind I feel a trip to the PM's coming on" Off I trot and get a replacement 22mm gate valve and return home to fit it. I syphoned off the header tank in the loft, replaced the gate valve and refilled the header tank. My problem is now no hot water flows from ANY hot tap, all cold taps are fine. I think I have an airlock somewhere but cannot seem to shift it. I have heard of connecting the cold tap to the hot tap and try to blast it out. I tried this but as I only had a hosepipe I couldn't get it over the tap spouts or hold it tight enough to stop the water spurting out. If it helps with anything my taps are: a monobloc mixer in the kitchen, pillar taps in the cloakroom, bath and bathroom sink, I tried the hosepipe trick on the bath taps. Is there a knack to this or do I need to connect certain taps together. I live in a normal 2 storey house and nothing else was shut off whist changing the tap washers. Memo to myself Put isolators on the tap tails when I do the bathroom and kitchen!

Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

John

Reply to
John

Try connecting the cold of the washing machine hose to the hot and give it a blast for a few seconds - this works for me every time !

Reply to
bob

OP here. Thanks for the reply but I have now sorted it. In frustration I was going to remove the gate valve I had replaced and make sure water was flowing from the header tank. As I started to GINGERLY undo one of the nuts there was a rush of air and the bath tap started flowing.so I presume the airlock was in the pipe from the header tank to the gate valve but why didn't it fill with water when I allowed the header tank to refil? Who knows but I'll remember that one next time.

Thanks

Reply to
John