Replacment element for a Pace SX-80

I have a Pace SX-80 de-solder handset as part of my home made de-solder set and the element has failed - for the second time. CPC claimed to stock them and the one I ordered arrived smashed to pieces. On contacting them they say they are special order only and are waiting for my replacement. Three months now. I can't find another supplier that has them in stock. Seems strange such a large organisation can't supply something as common as this for a relatively recent product. I'd be happy to buy a different make handset - but I'm not sure how many make this sort of vacuum desolder stuff anymore. Any ideas?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RS stock a lot of Pace equipment, but I don't know about spares - might be worth a try.

You could also try contacting Pace themselves - in Milton Keynes.

this helps.

Dom.

Reply to
Dom

They didn't list it when I checked and neither do CPC anymore.

Having some time on my hands I did a search last night and found a US company who not only have them in stock at about half the UK price but will send to the UK so I've ordered two. Carriage is only $15. Of course I'm not sure if I'll get clobbered for import duty yet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Spoke too soon. Got an email from them saying their website had calculated the carriage costs wrongly and it would be over $100 - for something not much larger or heavier than a pack of 20 cigarettes. Sounds like some form of courier service. Replied asking them to use a cheaper (slower didn't matter) service but they said they only use the one. Can't do much overseas sales then - although their site certainly seems geared up to it. Weird that their customer service was so quick via email but they can't just put a jiffy bag in the post...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Time to call in a favour with one of your American Friends!

I'm sure you must know someone who could order it for you and then send it one.

(Preferable wrapped in birthday paper and with the gift box ticked on the side of the package :=))

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yes - I'm thinking of going down that route. Problem is re-embursing their expenses at no or little extra cost. I suppose Paypal is the easiest way.

I've asked the company if I can use my credit card to pay them to send it to a US address so then all I've got to worry about is paying the friend for postage to the UK.

Why is life always so b****y complicated?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)