repairing a cordless drill

I've got a Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill on long-term loan from a friend (so I *have* to fix/replace). It's slipping, and the amount of torque needed to make it slip is going down, quite rapidly. I partially disassembled it to find a fairly self contained motor unit, a chuck that appears to be attached with a reverse-handed screw down the spindle (though removing it didn't suddenly make the chuck fall off, I imagine it's a pretty tight fit), and a gear control spinner.
It is not the chuck that's slipping - I can hold the whole body of the chuck still.
Is this a common problem, and is the solution easy/hard/buy a new one?

You *should* be able to buy spares for it. Try these people - I've found them helpful in the past and if you can't find what you want on the site phone them.
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/parts/list
--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That looks perfect, thanks.
No tips on your problem, but I found a very useful diagram and spares list (inc prices) for my drill here:
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?cookiecheck=yes&PT_ID 555&strPageHistoryt
Hopefuly you can navigate abut a bit and find your model.