Replacing Windows

My home, a small terraced house circa 1985, has three wooden single glazed windows that I want to have replaced with double glazed unit principally to reduce/eliminate condensation. Investigated the 'web' (google) and a local windows company and had quotes in the price range £1200-£1500. Yesterday I had a visit from a Zenith Staybrite Salesman and after two hours of waffle and telling me how bad everyone else's product was initially quoted me £4950.00 which was reduced to £3350, if I agreed to be a show home. When I told him I thought his quote was somewhat high, more waffle about how superior the Zenith product was and a phone call to the boss (probably fake) the price was reduced to £1980 if I signed up there and then. When I told him I didn't intend to commit to the first salesman through the door the price was again reduced to £1500 if I initially had the front two windows replaced and at a latter date the rear window. The scheme apparently being the rear window could be replaced at a lower cost as I would be a repeat customer.

How do these companies stay in business with this sort of selling? I understand that Zenith Staybrite are a 'reputable' company, whatever that means :-). As far as I am concerned they are a bunch of con men. It is simply outrageous that a quote of £4950 can be reduced to £1500.

How does one go about getting honest quotations for this sort of work?

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

Don't go to Zenith reputable there aint. The salesman we had to call told us how to break into 'other' companys windows. He also got in a lot of trouble when I reported that back. Our qoute dropped from £8500 to £2000 only took him nearly 2hours and 3 phone calls to someone.

You need to find someone in your area to give you a recommendation. Get at least three quotes to get a idea of what a sensible price might be.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

In message , Edward W. Thompson writes

  1. get recommendations if you can for companies.
  2. Go for smaller local companies, they seem less likely to go for the heavy sell - quite a few even advertise the fact.
  3. At the first inkling of a 'dodgy' salesman, kick them out of the door pronto.
Reply to
chris French

I had a similar experience with Anglian, though the price drop was nothing as drastic, sad to say it's just trying it on. Pathetic sales techniques making out if you sign up there and then you've got yourself a real bargain.

IMO I would ask people you know to make a recommendation for a locally based firm. Failing that shop around and get at least three quotes disregarding any sales tact to make you sign up there and then to get you a better deal. Anyone that gives you a quote should be able to honour it later if you decide to go ahead and accept.

Reply to
Phil Richards

Because many people will pay the higher price.

Lol.

Of course they are.

You find a nice, small local firm, like the one that supplied and installed 7 windows for us for ~£1500.

Reply to
Grunff

Go to a glazier (the sort with sheets of glass and a baize covered table in the shop) and ask them. They should be able to fit double glazed panels, possibly needing to remove and re-fit the existing timber the glass is held in to deepen the rebates. You won't need "K" glass panels, "building control" approval, or anything else. If your windows happen to be suitable, you could DIY the job. What do the windows look like?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

you won't need

Bollocks - if replacing windows with new d/g units you will need building control approval and you will need K glass - if you try and sell the house and it is clear the windows were fitted after April 2002 they will expect some kind of documentation - either FENSA certificate or BC approval.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

You're spouting the bollocks, old chum - he's not replacing the windows, is he - just the glass.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Ignore all the "national" companies for a start - they are all dire. Look for a local company and drive past the premises - if they are in a run down industrial unit with flash cars outside the offices cross them off the list.

Look up the adverts and claims for how long they have been trading. Go to Companies House

and use the free webcheck service to find out the date they were incorporated - if the advert claims "15 years experience" and the date of incorporation at Companies house is 2001 the chances are it is a "phoenix company" which arose out of the ashes of its parent. (Note

- the "previous names" is usually no help in telling if it is a phoenix company).

Double glazing companies are notorious for serial resurrection - "Fred's Windows Ltd" vanishes on Friday abandoning all its after sales and warranty commitments to arise on Monday in the same place with the same staff as "Fred's Windows (Barchester) Ltd.

An even more common trick is to describe themselves as "Fred's Windows" (next bit in very small letters only where legally required)"XYZ Ltd t/a (trading as) Fred's Windows". When XYZ fails ABC comes along as "ABC Ltd t/a Fred's Windows" - new owner, no responsibilities and no need to change the signs or adverts!

Get local references and check them. There are some very good glazing firms, they won't have complicated discount structures or pushy saledroids but they will have been around some time.

Reply to
Peter Parry

You've slipped up again. tsk!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What! I was under the impression he wanted to replace the single pane of grass with a D/G panel - that's no bother, is it? If he wants to replace the whole lot, that's a different matter. Must be the way I read 'em, and I'm not even langered. Perhaps he'd consider a simple few hundred job...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One for one replacements of glass *are* exempt - not sure about "two for one" though ;-)

But f*ck two jags and just get on with it!

Reply to
Matt

The actuall price is neerer 1000, he inflates it, so he can later knock it down. Some mugs do pay the full ammount.

I'd have waved 2 fingers at this guy, he was still 300 quid over youe other quotes.

Rick

Reply to
Rick