Replacing shower mixer valve

I am considering a style change to the bathroom which will include th

changing of all taps and the shower mixer valve.

I have seen the style I am after but am unsure of the procedure fo replacing the mixer valve. Taking it that the gap between the hot an cold entry pipes are the same on the new valve as the old one, is i simply a task to isolate and undo the supply pipes and fit the ne valve or am I still going to have to make holes in the walls to gai access to the pipework

-- cassman

Reply to
cassman

I am considering a style change to the bathroom which will include th

changing of all taps and the shower mixer valve.

I have seen the style I am after but am unsure of the procedure fo replacing the mixer valve. Taking it that the gap between the hot an cold entry pipes are the same on the new valve as the old one, is i simply a task to isolate and undo the supply pipes and fit the ne valve or am I still going to have to make holes in the walls to gai access to the pipework

-- cassman

Reply to
cassman

hi, isolate both supplies, saying that connection center to center i the same,disconnect old valve,if theres enough play in the pipework cu the copper, remove nut and ring,fit new valve, if pipework is solid tr cutting the O ring off only, be carefull not to cut into copper,remov o ring and nut, replace valve,turn water back on check connections then operate shower valve ( remove shower head to flush system t eliminate any debris

-- pacer

Reply to
pacer

Watch out for the required length of pipe poking out the wall my be different for different valves. Changing my crappy house builder fitted Triton valve for a Mira Excel required me to lengthen the pipe poking out the wall. Luckily Osma Gold (so I have now been told) push fit fittings were used in the wall and I was able to extract the pipe section from the right angle bend whilst in the wall and replace with a longer piece with very little effort. Make sure you tie/tape the pipe in the wall to prevent you dropping it, in my case in the wall cavity, when you have removed the pipe from the right angle.

Reply to
Ian_m