Replacing Sangamo 410 programmer / timer

Hi guys,

Now moved in to new property and am looking forward to lots more d-i-y. Been in 2 weeks now and done the livingroom (sanded floors / decorated etc.) just in time for the heavy rain last night which highlighted a leaking roof (above livingroom - typical). Anyway, I digress.

One of the jobs I have now added to the list as the current CH timer / programmer (Sangamo 410) appears to be keeping time at the rate of 2 hours passing = 1 day. I'd like to replace this if it's just a matter of getting a suitable replacement unit and connecting the wires up, however would be inclined to get someone in if it's a complicated procedure. Can anyone advise how tricky this is (don't have the original instructions for boiler/programmer), and is it something I should be attempting myself? If so, can anyone suggest a suitable replacement?

Thanks,

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

If it's been off for a long time, it may only need the backup battery replaced.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , BigWallop writes

Sangamo 410 ? - batteries weren't invented when they were around

Reply to
geoff

Batteries? I'm beginning to suspect that the gremlin that lives inside it has died as it's not turning at-all now. Plus point is that central heating is on predictably now, however not so good as my wife keeps turning it down at night before coming to bed so she's not too warm. Unfortunately I'm first up in the morning and have to turn it up again.

I'd take a picture though I don't know which box the camera's in, and sods law dictates that the cable to connect same to PC is in a box at the other end of the house. I did find this however, which sort of indicates that replacement could be a 'doddle'.

I correct that replacing this control unit would fall outside the requirements to be done by a CORGI registered individual? Also, if anyone could suggest an alternative unit (pref available in the UK via post...?).

Cheers!

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

In message , L Reid writes

Forget CORGI - it's not relevant to you

I might be able to repair it, no promises, but look at

I don't think it's directly compatible (backplane wise) with current programmers)

Reply to
geoff

It is a doddle. Most programmers now use the backplate shown on the link, and all you have to do is wire the new one as given in the wiring diagram. This is nothing to do with CORGI. Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

True, but on April 1st 2004 new electrical regulations come into play which may require that the circuit be certified after it is modified. This new arrangement is going to make corgi look like a walk in the park due to its stupidity.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Thanks for the offer geoff. Think I recall hearing you recommended in here a few times before!

Ideally I'd like to zap the old one in to touch, and replace with one which will allow for 5 + 2 (week and w/e settings) and different times to allow hot water to be on 24 hours a day but central heating on at certain times (gravity fed system). I also suspect the thermostat's gone the same way as the timer, as it (thermostat) seems to click on at 20 deg no matter how hot or cold it feels.

Another possible replacement(?) found here:

back-plate shouldn't be a problem, it was wiring that was worrying me. Regarding 2004 regs, does that apply only to works done after that date, or does it also include works done prior to that date?

Cheers!

Leigh

Reply to
L Reid

In message , L Reid writes

I think that rewiring should be fairly trivial for you, as long as you have sufficient length. IIRC that Sangamo has the connectors stacked vertically whereas most programmers now have them going across

Reply to
geoff

Ah. Could that be a problem then if the boiler is above the timer unit (as in my case)? Did the connectors come into the bottom of the unit or the top? If the top, I may have a problem.

Reply to
L Reid