Replacing Central Heating Timer

I am trying to replace my central heating timer. It is an old model I guess from the 1960s, it branded Potterton, but inside it says manufactured by Hortmann, model Q mk 3.

Does anyone know what the connections are? Horstamnn could not help. Otherwise, I am upgrading to a Horstmann C27 Programmer, is there an easy way to know what wire to connect where? - I have a puped central heating sytem, with gravity hot water. There is no cylander thermostat, so I have 2 wires to the boiler, and one to the room thermostat.

Thanks for any info,

Tony Lennard

Reply to
Tony Lennard

Thanks for the help. Individual replies made Mick

Reply to
Mick

With your existing programmer, do the 2 boiler wires connect to the same terminal at the boiler end? If so, it sounds like a complicated way of achieving a link in the programmer!

The boiler needs to run whenever *either* HW or CH is selected. Bringing the boiler on with the CH is usually achieved with an internal link which brings HW on whenever CH is selected.

You should only need one live wire to the boiler (plus neutral & earth of course) and this should be connected to the HW ON terminal. The CH ON terminal should have a wire which goes to the room stat and onwards to the pump. The programmer should have an internal link or switch which has to be set in the Gravity mode.

If you are updating your control system, you should seriously consider doing it in a way which provides a boiler interlock - so that the boiler doesn't waste energy keeping itself hot when it's not needed, and so that the DHW doesn't get dangerously hot. The least painful way to achieve this is to convert it to a C-Plan system - for which you will only need a 2-port zone valve and a cylinder stat - which need to be connected up exactly as per C-Plan in

Set Square

In message , Tony Lennard writes

Put a photo up somewhere, I might be able to identify it

Reply to
raden