Replacing meter boxes

We have some very ugly and broken meter boxes on the side of our garage. Our old builder (who has now gone AWOL) said that he'd fix new ones. Our new builders, when asked to do the same job, said that you can be fined and/or imprisoned for doing this. Both boxes are sunk into the brickwork. I can find replacement boxes on-line, but is it legal or sensible to fit them yourself? One contains a gas meter, the other the electricity meter.

Apologies if this has been done to death already.

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Imprisoned ????? That seems a bit unlikely .

Can you fit the boxes without disturbing the meters etc . If so I'd say just go ahead . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

The meters actually fit inside the boxes, and in addition the gas meter box has been pushed out of alignment by the trunk of a Virginia Creeper (not me, guv, honest, we only moved in 18 months ago). Can I fit the boxes? No. Can someone else fit them without disturbing the meters etc.? I doubt it, but I guess that would depend on a combination of competence and luck.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Can you cut the front off and splice it onto the trimmed back old box?

Reply to
John

quoted text -

I wouldn't have thought so - it's fibreglass (I think) so some way outwith my capabilities. Also, the gas meter box seriously needs resiting - in fact I'd go so far as to say that both are completely u/ s and must be replaced.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Aren't they the responsibility of the utility co?

Reply to
<me9

Contact NG Transco on 0800 111 999 raising your concern for safety of the meter boxes that should get someone round within a few hours.

You can then find out how much NG Transco will do and how much you will have to do or pay. At the very least the meter boxes are yours and their replacment is down to you. There is a chance that Transco might just do some or most of the work involved.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My meters were indoors when I purchased this house. As I did not want the hassle of the meter men coming into the house I decided I wanted them outdoors. The gas people and the electric people provided the boxes, which I fitted. The relative companies came round and re-sited the meters into the boxes. At a fairly high cost, however it was a convenience move not a safety one.

Reply to
Broadback

That's what I was told by the (as was) electricity board.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Meter boxes were invented for the convenience of the mass market rabbit hutch builders, with no thought of longetivity or future maintenace.

Its possible to cut the back and part of the sides/top/bottom off the new box, and the one in the wall, and then slide the new one into the opening and fix it with screw and plugs (or expanding foam).

Or make a new frame and door out of timber.

You can not [legally] disconnect the meters.

dg

Reply to
dg