Replacing Garage Doors

Hi All, I've got ageing double-doors that need replacing... at the same time I'm thinking of converting the garage into a utility/extra room. My plan is to *wall* up the double-door space using stud-partitioning and a upvc door for access. Has anyone done anything like this? Any recommendations?

cheers mark mcr (To reply please take the michael)

Reply to
Mark D

You can't use a stud partition for an external wall (is that what you mean?), you'd have to use bricks or blocks.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cheers, David, Breeze blocks it is then..... same question, anyone done this?

Cheers, Mark, M/cr

to reply by email, please take the michael

Reply to
MarkD

Oh, yes you can!

(you can build a whole wood framed house if you want)

Reply to
John Rumm

From a building point of view, what you describe is dead easy and should work fine. However you will certainly need to submit at least a building notice, and may even require planning permission since it would be classed as a change of use.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why? What's wrong with a timber frame and some shiplap weatherboard, or exterior ply with cement render?

Reply to
Rob Morley

OK, I sit corrected! In my defence - I have indeed heard of timber-framed houses but have never ever come across one wearing my diy hat; and since I'd been building a stud partition yesterday morning immediately before reading the post, I just had this vision of a plasterboarded 3x2 frame...

Ah well, just another example of why you should never act on the first reply received in this ng! Let's hope the OP didn't stay up all Saturday night building a brick wall...

David

Reply to
Lobster

;-) to be fair, it is an easy assumption to make. Rather like the way people assume that stud walls are never load bearing.

I was all set to build up the gable wall of my house when converting the roof in blockwork of some description. It took a slight mindset adjustment to think in terms of studwork. Once you have got that far however, you realise you can make the wall half the thickness and still meet building regs.

Well, he might be a bricky now ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks All, so I've just finished bricking it up and now I've got to take it all down again?! ;-)

John, that's kind of what I meant in terms if buiding regs etc... because I wouldn't be changing the use of the space from what it is now - but I didn't notify when I stuck in the washing machine and dryer a few years ago.

I intend the change to be *temporary* in that, when we sell up and move, on I would install a conventional up-and-over garage door...but that's not something I need at the moment.

What's involved in submitting a building notice? Anywhere I can look on the interweb to find out more?

Cheers, Mark, M/cr

to reply by email, please take the michael

Reply to
MarkD

What some do it convert the back half of the garage and leave the up and over door in place for the front half and use it for storage.

Not much. Phone your council and ask to speak to the building control office. They will tell you want you need to do (if anything).

Reply to
John Rumm