retractable garage doors

Hi,
Following on from my garage door dilemmas, I'm thinking of replacing
our old (broken) canopy door with a retractable version. I'm confused
by the term "retractable"; do they retract fully or is there any
canopy effect?
I presume they are much more stable since they run into tracts? the
problem we used to have with the canopy door was when you lifted it by
the corner rather than the middle; it would tangle the wires. Are
retractable doors more resilient to bad handling? Do they have wires
that get tangled or not? What happens if you try to lift one from a
corner?
Are they much more secure than canopy doors?
Thank you.
Reply to
Fred
Shouldn't you always try to be aware of the design when handling things like garage doors (and drawers in cupboards, etc). Things will last a lot longer if you do - and such things like a bit of lubrication now and again. (Pet gripe of mine is that few homes now have an oil can)
Reply to
John
They are certainly far more stable in use, being supported at four points. I would suggest also simpler and thus more reliable. I keep mine lubricated and it's as good as new after many years.
They are also more readily automated . I really appreciate having the opener and wouldn't be without on now.
I don't think any garage door is really secure against a determined thief.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Cap
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:09:06 GMT, "John" wrote:
That's why I'm here asking ;)
If you are on about the canopy wires tangling, I walked round the corner and came face to face with a half open door and instinctively reached to push it up so it didn't take my eye out, which happened before I could think about the design and correct way to handle it.
Reply to
Fred
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:14:48 +0000, Andy Cap wrote:
I think I'm going to try a retractable rather than a canopy door then. Is it a matter of greasing the spring once an year and oiling everything else with 3 in 1?
Reply to
Fred
Heavy grease or silicone spray.
I am not sure what a canopy door is..or whether I have one.
But mine gets no maintenance at all. Unless it sticks, when heavy grease is liberally applied to anything that moves.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
You need to look carefully at what the manufacturer is offering and the build quality.
Whether a door is retracting or canopy is not defined by the nature of the mechanism. Both kinds can have arrangements of tracks, rods, wires, pivots and springs or weights. Designs do vary quite a bit and you can't assume that a retracting door always has a specific type of mechanism any more than a canopy type.
The comparison of canopy vs. retracting really influences how far back into the garage the door travels and the trajectory followed as it opens and closes.
There are also sectional types such as Hoermann which run in tracks but in a completely different way.
Apart from looking at manufacturer web sites and data sheets, it's a good plan to try to visit a supplier of doors with a showroom having several set up so that you can look even if you don't buy from them.
Don't forget to look at the finish of the door as well. There is a lot of rubbish around.
Reply to
Andy Hall
The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:
"Up and Over" door which doesn't retract fully but projects from front of the garage when fully open, the small amount still prjecting providing a canopy over the opening
Reply to
Appin
Oh. That's what I have then.
It gets a nice strip of lichen that has to be scrubbed off every year.
Doesn't affect reliability of operation or longevity at all I would say, just leads to a bit more door maintenance if you leave it open a lot. Rain collects on it, sun blasts it. Not good for doors, especially wood. Ours are galv steel I think.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Site Timeline Threads