Replacing double glazed windows

As an update, I have just received a quote of £140 - £150 for a plain glass unit measuring approx 5ft by 2ft 6ins, including fitting from a small local company. Seem reasonable ?

Reply to
Karen

This is not my experiance.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This assumes your window is old enough to use glazing beads. About 5 years ago, glazing tape took over -- double sided foam tape which sticks the unit into the frame. You have to cut this all round with a knife to take such a unit out, and you'll need new glazing tape to refit.

Also measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the glass, as this will affect the type of glass used to make the unit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Definitely worth getting two or three quotes but then again in the vicinity of Manchester £140-150 doesn't sound way out.

Reply to
Biggles

Ive actually been thinking about replacing one of my smaller panels of glass, after looking at my frames they apear to have rubber beading on both the inside and outside! is/was this common. I believe the frames are Rehau, german made thanks

Reply to
Eres

But the OP is referring to upvc (not sure which bits of that should be in uppercase :-) ) frames, which still use glazing beads, not the glazing strips you refer to which are used in wooden (maybe metal?) windows.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

There is a beading which is fixed to the frame, which will press against the outer side of the sealed unit, this is purely a rubber beading however. The beading strips we are referring to are the plastic strips which are fitted from the inside (on Rehau windows) of the frame. These have a rubber strip on the back, which holds the sealed unit in place and provides a secondary seal against the elements.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

ahhhh got ya, just had another look cheers

Reply to
Eres

Losing several in one window happens when the window frame jars. The other possibility is the drainage from the frame is faulty, and they are all sitting in puddles, which all froze at some point, destroying the units' seals.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm not sure what you mean.

They lasted about 10 years, and I'm sure survived the odd frost or two in that time - even in London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assume Andrew means the frame has skewed, thus placing excess load on certain areas of the sealed unit, causing the mastic seal to 'break' and allow in air?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It's a large structural wood frame window, with the panels all approx 2ft square. Of course there will be some movement. It was professionally glazed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is a naming problem (I don't know what the right names for the parts are). Glazing tapes are used on all the uPVC installations I've seen in last 5 years, instead of the rubber strips which used to be pushed in the other side from the beading. Glazing tape is more secure. Otherwise youend up with internally beaded uPVC which looks really ugly as the PVC sections have to be much bigger, particularly for openers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok Andrew, I have lost you - but I assume we must be talking about the same thing? I've installed Eurocell, Plastmo and Rehau profiles within the last few years and all have been the same inside!

If the glass doesn't fall out, and the house doesn't flood when it rains - I'm happy :)

Take care

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Tell that to my wooden conservatory! I've had enough beads to last a lifetime (44 beaded windows plus 6 double glazed roof panels using a different system).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You poor man!! And they look so innocent once installed, you soon forget the swearing and cursing that is created by beads popping all over the place during installation!

So what, the beads are wooden with a seal incorporated into them? Or do you mean a (more) traditionally glazed one, with the a mastic seal between the bead, and the bead held in place with pins?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The traditional type, using a builder's merchant's entire supply of suitable low modulus neutral cure sealant...

Christian,

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not that far back, no.

try emailing him, he's still got the same addy AFAIK

Reply to
raden