replacing a single tile

From the pic below , you can see I need to replace this tile that was removed to access plumbing for a shower. The plumber has done a neat job but how best to :

A. replace the piece of plaster board (and then the tile) as there is currently nothing to attach it to? I am working from this picture as it is for my son so have`nt been to see the job yet. The mixer tap unit sits (normally) flush on the tile when in place.

The wall at the back is a solid wall so thought maybe some small `battens` and then attach the plasterboard to them, then replace the tile on that. Am I going in the right direction or any other ideas on this?

thanks

[IMG]
SS

I would glue some battens to the back of the plasterboard, overlapping around the edge of the hole. (Normally I screw them through the existing plasterboard, but you can't due to the tiles.) Allow a good area of overlap with both existing and new plasterboard so there's a good sized area for the glue to bond.

When they're stuck firm, cut a piece of plasterboard the right size and thickness to fit in the hole, and glue this to the battens (or screw if you think you can without breaking the existing glue bond).

Now tile and grout onto the board.

If the existing board is aquapanel (or some other cement based waterproof plasterboard replacement), then you might want to use similar. In any case, make sure the grout is well waterproof.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Instead of timber battens I normally use pieces of plasterboard glued to the back of the original. This will eliminate any potential problems with shrinkage in the timber, as well as using up scraps of PB.

Reply to
<me9

Use some sort of tourniquet arrangement I suppose. Or use dabs of 2 part filler as the adhesive. You'd have to keep pressure on the batten for 3 or 4 minutes while it went off, but it bonds well to PB IME.

Allow a good area of

Reply to
stuart noble

Something like that. I think I'd make it such that future access is easyly available, that left hand pipe looks a bit stressed to me...

I'd probably have 4 blocks on the wall and a tile mounted on a bit of WBP ply then use stainless mirror screws, with a blob of silicone under the heads, to attach that to the blocks finallly grouting round to waterproof the join. The grout will be easy to remove should you need access later.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks all, I should be able to sort this now. Some good ideas.

Reply to
SS

Buy or make this Schluter Rema tile hatch:

glue 4 magnets as shown, and put grout in as usual. Then the plumber can easily remove the tile next time.

Reply to
Matty F

Innovative! Magnetic cupboard catches are cheap enough. I suppose velcro would work as well

Reply to
stuart noble

Get a fridge magnet off the fridge, cut it into four and glue it to the tile. Screw four steel brackets inside the hole. The grout will stop the tile falling out.

Reply to
Matty F

Pack of 10 magnetic catches for £1.73 and you want me to cut up a fridge magnet? :-)

Reply to
stuart noble