replacing single ceramic wall tile

Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I can see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James

Don't worry about the surface below. Just remove loose shards and level it up with tile adhesive, then tile with more adhesive when its dried. It'll be fine.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

The message from "James" contains these words:

Yeah, don't hit it too hard. If you're really worried, you could drill a hole in the middle of the tile and use a screwdriver to bust the tile from inside. Otherwise, just bash it with a hammer and dig the shards out.

Reply to
Guy King

Try using a scraper and a decent strong acid like hydrochloric (harpic loo descaler?) to get the grout out round it.

I'd be inclined to try and clean it up and fill any holes with grout, unless you know you can match it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

De-grout around the edges and then hit it with a tack hammer to break it and pull the shards off. Be delicate and you won't have trouble. The important bit is removing the old grout to release the edges.

Reply to
EricP