Replacing a ceiling

Following a flat roof leak, I have a soggy ceiling with a big split in it. Now that the roof is being fixed, I'm going to have a bash at the ceiling myself: It's only about 2 metres each way, so what could possibly go wrong? (!)
I'm going to tear it down tomorrow and leave it for a week for everything to dry properly. In replacing, I want to take the opportunity to put some insulation in there. Now, I understand that it's best to use foil-backed plasterboard to control vapour but I can't find plasterboard with both a foil back and a tapered edge.
So...What's the best thing to do? Use foil backed square edge, which will either need skimming or a bit of luck to get a good finish, or use tapered edge and stick some foil on the back? The latter sounds attractive but I might be missing something - like what's the best way of sticking foil to plasterboard?
Any suggestions welcome!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have no comment to make about the plasterboard, however if you have any electric cables in the roof space then have a look at http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title Κbles#Installation_Methods to make sure the insulaton will not affect their performance.
Cheers
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–

I think any of the above sound doable. PVA glues both ali and paper. I have also used square edge and only filled it before, and got a satisfactory result, the main downside is that you cant then use reinforcing mesh tape across the gap, so cracks are more likely to occur. Such cracks are easily fixed with a finger and a little filler.
Polythene is an inferior sub for ali foil. It doesnt last well, and although its waterproof it isnt vapour proof, just vapour resistant to a fair extent.
With a dead man and small 9mm boards you should have little problem.
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tabby wrote:

The traditional method is under some concrete in the basement.
--
Bartc

Add pictures here
βœ–
Tabby wrote:

Is that why the milk leaks out of all my polythene bottles then?

Add pictures here
βœ–

If you can fill ok, you should be fine.
Add pictures here
βœ–

its not hard to cut boards to fit before offering them up. Just measure the space properly, pencil it on the board and cut with a knife. That always needs doing.

eithe use a ruler, or mark the straight edge with a bit of timber & cut freehand

look where youre going, dont get careless. Damage can be filled anyway.

Doesnt matter, filler covers all.

its not hard.
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–

why use foil to 'control' (condense?) vapour?
kitchens are all about ventilation
surely you'll be creating a damp problem
-- http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're not condensing the vapour. You're preventing it penetrating into a colder space, and condensing there. Ventilation from the kitchen should be to the outside, by means of windows or an extractor, not into a cold roof space, where it will promote rot.
That's why ;-)
Cheers Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–

thanks for the info
I too have a kitchen ceiling to repair
-- http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't worry about a vapour barrier unless you have a cold roof space above it (as opposed to another floor of your house).
Cheers Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–