Replacement Boiler needed (again)

Thed bit I like the vbest is the spin..

"Due to strong economic growth and higher-than-expected immigration, Germany is likely to miss its national emissions target for 2020 without any additional measures. "

Pretty much admits that strong economic growth is unachieveable with 'renewable energy'

Its all bollocks and political expediency innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most things politicians say are b---. Their job is primarily seeking people 's approval. Why would one think otherwise?

A politician that got honest would not get elected, as what the populace ex pects is not realistic. A classic example is more services for less taxes - which actually is achieveable but no politician appears to have any clue h ow. Reduce gross inefficiency and pointless spending on trivia. Advertising has also successfuly created a popular image of today's society that doesn 't match reality, and the populace expects it.

Really it's relatively easy to solve many of our ills, but politicians aren 't the ones knowledgeable & interested enough to do so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have had a Vaillant ecotec 415 for 9 years, it decided to start dripping water this weekend, but the water was cold and clean. It is heating radiators and open vent hot water system. May have been the condensate pipe frozen or a large icicle on the air intake and exhaust pipes. Come Saturday night, the drip had stopped so I assumed it was due to the ice melting on the inlet and outlet pipes. The heating continued to work and the boiler did not shut down. All in all we have had no problems with the 415 system.

Reply to
critcher

I feel we won't have to be concerned about 2030 and climate change, don't know why.

Reply to
critcher

An electric boiler driven from a gas power station will always be less efficient than a gas boiler.

An electric heat pump might be reasonable, but you really need UFH with it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Nothing to do with turning all the nukes off then?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They can f*ck off with that idea.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

+1
Reply to
Johnny B Good

To be fair, National Grid last year[1] reckoned there will still be 7 million gas boilers in 2050 (instead of 25 million in a "steady state") on the "2 degree" model. So you have a good chance - unless of course you are in an area where there's a compulsory switch to - say - hydrogen ;)

[1] Future Energy Scenarios July 2017,
Reply to
Robin

So how are people going to heat their houses?

Reply to
Max Demian

Unicorns.

Reply to
Huge

It's all in the cited report - heat pumps, hybrid heat pumps, etc etc.

Plus better insulated homes.

Reply to
Robin

When I looked at heat pumps electricity was about 3 times as expensive as oil, but the heat pump did a 3:1 uplift in terns of power out to power in...so breakeven.

Given sane planning, which is of course a big ask these days, the critical turnover is when gas is more than 1/3rd as expensive as nuclear power.

Right now that is in fact the case IIRC at the wholesale level.

The staggering cost of green policies that do nothing is the next political hurdle post brexit.

Th eleft and te greens have pushed stupdly exoensive energy polices that havent changed CO2 emissiins one iota, and repeatedly blocked nuclear power and fracked gas, which actually DO reduce emissions. Not that that makes any difference to climate of course.

LED lamps, better insulation, heat pumps, better design of kit - these are all cost effective ways to save energy

Windmills and solar panels and stopping nuclear power and fracking are all completely counter productive.

This has been known for decades.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nuclear powered heat pumps Or electricity, same as france.

Do you realise how LITTLE water you need to make a thernmal store big enough to last the day so you heat off offpeak leccy only?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even more efficient if the heat pump's primary circuit core runs through low level waste buried in the garden. Shame to waste all that heat!

Reply to
Robin

I am afraid low level waste doesn't even get warm.

You need fizzing decay heat from ultra high level waste for that!

Which lasts week or two only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That last statement doesn't really answer the question of *how* to

*heat* their houses unless levels of insulation are assumed to be taken to such an extreme as to allow body heat alone to become sufficient to maintain the home at a comfortable temperature.
Reply to
Johnny B Good

Using a 2KW 2 bar electric fire, and lots of my salary, like I had in a flat in Cwmbran? They also avoided the expense of double glazing the glass that virtually covered one wall, but the design did win an award in the Festival of Britain in 1951.

Reply to
Martin

Reply to
Martin

If you want to play that game, *any* source of energy - including body heat alone or the body heat of a pet budgie - will heat a house.

But most people read "heat a house" with an implied "to an acceptable temperature". Then insulation does matter.

Reply to
Robin