Replacement Boiler needed (again)

I boobed with my earlier cry for help. I said that the existing boiler was floor-standing. It wasn't.

The lighting was so poor then that I couldn't tell!

I have now had some professional advice and need to find a wall-mounted heat-only 15KV boiler whose flue is at the back, not at the top.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Pinnerite

Not aware of any that have the flue at the back these days. However I can't see that matters so long as you get one that will fit in the available vertical space.

(typically a flue emerges from the top straight into an elbow, and then goes out directly through the wall - so rear exit but above the boiler)

Do you mean heat only, or would system be ok as well?

Reply to
John Rumm

There's probably the odd ancient thing on ebay with rear flue, but I can't see them being any real use. It may be time to re-site.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No. I want to make it easier and less messy, so a direct replacement of a heating-only boiler (plus keeping an airing cupboard as such) indicates a heat-only jobby. I have found a couple. Just waiting for some extra data for the second one.

Thanks for the replies.

Alan

Reply to
Pinnerite

Yup, there are heating only boiler out there. Vaillant do their 400 range of models for example, which include some that can work on a vented system. (they are also quite small so may fit your requirement in more ways than one)

Keep in mind that the heat lost from the case on a modern condenser is very low - so you can't rely on the boiler to keep an airing cupboard warm - you would likely need a small rad in there.

(also modern boilers are full of electronics, and hence will be more reliable if not kept in a room with a high ambient temperature)

Reply to
John Rumm

I rather fancy the Ideal logic Heat 15 but cannot find a picture of the rear to be confident.

Reply to
Pinnerite

The 400 range also have a rear flue option which the OP wants.

The 400 series was completely revamped in 2015 and they now have a newer aluminium heat exchanger rather than stainless steel. The stainless steel heat exchanger in the older models had a very high pressure drop and gave problems where pump sizing wasn't spot on, also they were more susceptible to clog up especially when used on older systems. I believe the new heat exchanger has much larger waterways.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Aluminium heat exchangers with aluminium fins in acidic flue gas are a bad idea.

Why are they less likely to clog, apart from having to be replaced every few years?

Reply to
Fredxx

15 what?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

it stops people messing with it Maybe it's 15 kilo-whats

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Domestic gas has to be phased out by about 2030 to meet climate change targets so an electric boiler with high efficiency supply could be sensible forward planning.

Reply to
Robin

I believe it's some sort of alloy. Worcester use aluminium as do a few other manufacturers. I still don't think they have the same longevity as SS though.

The waterways are much larger when compared to what was on the previous generation HX.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Ally is much cheaper and easier to make, though. You get what you pay for, as they say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If that really is the case, it's about time our government did the forward planning as there's not a cat in hell's chance our electricity supply and distribution could cope with everywhere having electric heating by 2030. My gas boiler is 30 kW and my electricity supply 24 kW max.

And what method are we going to use to generate all that extra electricity?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

gas?

Reply to
charles

It depends of course on other assumptions and who is making them. Eg the Committee on Climate Change see natural gas lingering on until 2050. Others though think it'll need to be faster as the 2030 targets assume growth in the use of carbon neutral gas (e.g. hydrogen or biomethane) and electrification (including heat pumps).

It'll probably start with a ban on sales of new gas boilers. (Note to self: see if shares in CET Ltd for sale.)

[1] see e.g. "Next steps for UK heat policy", October 2016
Reply to
Robin

We might as well forget trying to build new homes and create crypto-currencies, just go back to living in caves and litho-currency.

Reply to
Andy Burns

ISTR some describing them as silicon coated ali...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, that's handy to know. I did have a look a the pictures of the 400 series but did not spot the rear flue one, but had a feeling they might have done one since its a popular choice for people looking for a heat only boiler replacement.

Reply to
John Rumm

Politicians can promise anything will be done by 2030, it means nothing. I don't know why people take any notice of such claims. Looking at the facts it seems more than a little unlikely.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr