Replacement Boiler needed (again)

I boobed with my earlier cry for help. I said that the existing boiler was floor-standing. It wasn't.
The lighting was so poor then that I couldn't tell!
I have now had some professional advice and need to find a wall-mounted heat-only 15KV boiler whose flue is at the back, not at the top.
Any suggestions?
On 22/02/2018 17:07, Pinnerite wrote:

Not aware of any that have the flue at the back these days. However I can't see that matters so long as you get one that will fit in the available vertical space.
(typically a flue emerges from the top straight into an elbow, and then goes out directly through the wall - so rear exit but above the boiler)
Do you mean heat only, or would system be ok as well?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thursday, 22 February 2018 18:14:41 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

There's probably the odd ancient thing on ebay with rear flue, but I can't see them being any real use. It may be time to re-site.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I rather fancy the Ideal logic Heat 15 but cannot find a picture of the rear to be confident.
John Rumm wrote:

No. I want to make it easier and less messy, so a direct replacement of a heating-only boiler (plus keeping an airing cupboard as such) indicates a heat-only jobby. I have found a couple. Just waiting for some extra data for the second one.
Thanks for the replies.
Alan
On 23/02/2018 09:22, Pinnerite wrote:

Yup, there are heating only boiler out there. Vaillant do their 400 range of models for example, which include some that can work on a vented system. (they are also quite small so may fit your requirement in more ways than one)

Keep in mind that the heat lost from the case on a modern condenser is very low - so you can't rely on the boiler to keep an airing cupboard warm - you would likely need a small rad in there.
(also modern boilers are full of electronics, and hence will be more reliable if not kept in a room with a high ambient temperature)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/02/2018 10:51, John Rumm wrote:

The 400 range also have a rear flue option which the OP wants.
The 400 series was completely revamped in 2015 and they now have a newer aluminium heat exchanger rather than stainless steel. The stainless steel heat exchanger in the older models had a very high pressure drop and gave problems where pump sizing wasn't spot on, also they were more susceptible to clog up especially when used on older systems. I believe the new heat exchanger has much larger waterways.
--
Dazza

On 02/03/2018 17:40, gremlin_95 wrote:

Aluminium heat exchangers with aluminium fins in acidic flue gas are a bad idea.
Why are they less likely to clog, apart from having to be replaced every few years?
On 02/03/2018 19:08, Fredxx wrote:

I believe it's some sort of alloy. Worcester use aluminium as do a few other manufacturers. I still don't think they have the same longevity as SS though.

The waterways are much larger when compared to what was on the previous generation HX.
--
Dazza

Ally is much cheaper and easier to make, though. You get what you pay for, as they say.
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

On 03/03/2018 09:25, gremlin_95 wrote:

ISTR some describing them as silicon coated ali...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 02/03/2018 19:08, Fredxx wrote:

I have had a Vaillant ecotec 415 for 9 years, it decided to start dripping water this weekend, but the water was cold and clean. It is heating radiators and open vent hot water system. May have been the condensate pipe frozen or a large icicle on the air intake and exhaust pipes. Come Saturday night, the drip had stopped so I assumed it was due to the ice melting on the inlet and outlet pipes. The heating continued to work and the boiler did not shut down. All in all we have had no problems with the 415 system.
On 02/03/2018 17:40, gremlin_95 wrote:

Ah, that's handy to know. I did have a look a the pictures of the 400 series but did not spot the rear flue one, but had a feeling they might have done one since its a popular choice for people looking for a heat only boiler replacement.

--
Cheers,

John.
On 22/02/2018 17:07, Pinnerite wrote:

15 what?
Bill
On Saturday, 3 March 2018 07:54:37 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

it stops people messing with it Maybe it's 15 kilo-whats
NT
On 03/03/2018 07:54, Bill Wright wrote:

Domestic gas has to be phased out by about 2030 to meet climate change targets so an electric boiler with high efficiency supply could be sensible forward planning.
--
Robin

If that really is the case, it's about time our government did the forward planning as there's not a cat in hell's chance our electricity supply and distribution could cope with everywhere having electric heating by 2030. My gas boiler is 30 kW and my electricity supply 24 kW max.
And what method are we going to use to generate all that extra electricity?
--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

gas?
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

It depends of course on other assumptions and who is making them. Eg the Committee on Climate Change see natural gas lingering on until 2050. Others though think it'll need to be faster as the 2030 targets assume growth in the use of carbon neutral gas (e.g. hydrogen or biomethane) and electrification (including heat pumps).
It'll probably start with a ban on sales of new gas boilers. (Note to self: see if shares in CET Ltd for sale.)
[1] see e.g. "Next steps for UK heat policy", October 2016
--
Robin
On Saturday, 3 March 2018 12:35:13 UTC, Robin wrote:

Politicians can promise anything will be done by 2030, it means nothing. I don't know why people take any notice of such claims. Looking at the facts it seems more than a little unlikely.
NT