replacement boiler needed

Indeed. Though I thought the law required in such circumstances the conversion factors for firkins per fortnight too :)

Reply to
Robin

No converter on your computer?

Cubic foot is 6.229 gallons. 28.32 litres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. but I did get the 28l correct.

Reply to
dennis

+1. BG (especially the salesmen) have a pretty terrible reputation here.
Reply to
newshound

Well, you're certainly welcome to do that but that would mean the rest of us would have to grab hold of a calculator and look up the relevant conversion factors to translate the result into the more familiar units of litres per minute that are generally used in this News Group. :-)

Thinking about obscure/whimsical units of measurement, I wonder how many foot pounds of torque there are in a Light Year pico-gramme? That was a rhetorical question by the way. I'm not really expecting an answer. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Maybe but it makes me less depressed. Thank you and everyone else for their generous advice.

Regards, Alan

Reply to
Pinnerite

round here they are very good at saying "you can't get the spares"

Reply to
charles

I can still remember that the dimensions of viscosity are length squared/time. Comes from being told at university that you could measure it in acres/year

Reply to
charles

After trying a couple of on-line quote systems, it looks like the Worcester Greenstar FS 30 CDi will do the job. I'll chase up a few installers.

I notice that none of the Combi pushers ever mention that your airing cupboard will just become cold shelf-space.

Alan

Andy Burns wrote:

Reply to
Pinnerite

I suppose they could install a small radiator in there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I was a child, there was a massive cupboard under the stairs (well, there were two, one tapering to zero height where we kept vacuum cleaner etc).

But the big one was the height of the stairs at its highest point, and had a standard door (so it was quite wide). That didn't have a boiler or anything; no central heating and the hot water came from a big tank over the bath with an immersion heater fitted from below (an electric-onlt Fortic tank, I think).

So it had a low wattage heater in the bottom, like a 3 inch diameter pipe the width of the cupboard.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I replaced my old cast iron boiler with a modern condensing one, I hat to fit a rad in that room. Never needed one before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our old Potterton cast iron was reckoned to have the output of a medium radiator - like you, we had no rad in that room (kitchen) and it was quite warm.

Reply to
Tim Watts

One reason could be that we have our combi in the airing cupboard and the vent out of the roof.

I don't think the boiler heats it as much as the old hot water cylinder but it does avoid taking up wall or floor space elsewhere.

We specifically didn't want it in the kitchen (noise, using wall or cupboard space) and there wasn't enough space in the bathroom.

In a previous property we had the combi in the loft for similar reasons. This time we could have done the same, but the airing cupboard seemed to work well and was more central to the pipe work.

Also in the previous property the airing cupboard was on the ground floor in the centre of the house right next to the old BAxi back boiler, so not a good site for a combi.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It does if you're bilingual!

A litre of water weighs 1Kg - which is 2.2 lbs

1 minute (60 seconds) divided by 2.2 is 27 seconds.

Therefore lbs per 27 seconds is the same as litres (Kg) per minute.

QED

Reply to
Roger Mills

Considerably more shelf space, however.