Replaced oven element failed again aftert 10 months - fair or not?

The element in our oven (about 10 years old) failed last April; something I've never experienced before. I replaced it with an original part obtained from an online spares supplier, for about 30 quid delivered.

Now the new one has just failed too; I plan to contact the supplier tomorrow for a whinge, but just wondered where people reckon I stand here. The T&Cs state the following:

"If there is a fault with your product or other defect with your order within 12 months of delivery we will normally offer a replacement or repair." [...] "This guarantee does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear."[...] "The guarantee period for consumable items (eg. batteries, camera films, ink cartridges, etc) is three months from date of delivery. Spares that must be fitted internally are also guaranteed for three months, provided they have been fitted by a suitably qualified and competent person."

I presume that an oven element will come under the "three months" category so am anticipating they'll give me short shrift.

Is 10 months, or 3 months, a reasonable life span? Personally I think not but would be interested in what others reckon, and how far I should push this?

Reply to
Lobster

It depends on how sure you are that you fitted it properly. I know that when I last replaced our fan oven element,I had to take care that the coils were properly spaced apart to prevent a local hotspot.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What defines a "suitably qualified and competent person" to fit an oven element?

It's outside the scope of part P. It's not rocket science and you should lay the SOGA on them if they do not swap the element for free.

Reply to
ARW

It is pitiful, you should have had at least a couple of years. It was probably a Chinese clone in which case it was good quality to even exceed the derisory guarantee time.

Reply to
Ericp

They can fail early if the /wire/terminals are not cleaned up properly when the new element is installed. They are often badly corroded. If they are crimp connections, the crimps often relax over the years as well as corroding and should be replaced along with the element. They are special heat resisting crimps, ordinary ones won't do.

So your element may have failed early for that reason.

Reply to
harry

Just had a look, and the (crimp) connectors are in perfectly OK condition; and a very tight fit.

The element itself looks in almost 'out-of-the-box' condition still; and certainly no signs of the loops touching each other causing hotspots etc.

I get how I may be vulnerable to the supplier bleating about a d-i-y installation though. Will see...

Reply to
Lobster

Well the tack I'd take is one where you want to inform them of this failure in case its a duff batch, they may well be quite grateful and give you another or at least a discount. It does sound a bit short considering many ovens work for years without losing an element. If its one of two in an oven and the other one is still the old one all the better for your case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Definitely sounds like a duff one then. Good luck.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ours is something like 15 years old.

I feel safe in mentioning this as it is being replaced next week anyway

- kitchen refurb.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The law gives you 1-6yrs guarantee for most things. I don't see any reason = for this to be exempt.

At =A330 its almost worth commencing a small claims proceeding, the odds ar= e they'll cave immediately and refund. Even talking to a solicitor would co= st them more than that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It isn't.

Have you asked them yet? The small claims procedure is a last resort and they may cave in before it comes to this.

The main difficultly I see is that, in the unlikely event that it does actually come to court, the onus would be on you to prove that it had an inherent defect at the time of purchase. Even if this is the case it may be difficult (or at least uneconomic) to prove.

Reply to
Mark

[...]

No, it was actually an original Electrolux; could have had the cheapo job from the same supplier for about half the price IIRC.

Anyway - just to report back: I contacted the supplier about it yesterday and they immediately held up their hands and shipped me a replacement FOC without quibble, which has just arrived 18 hrs later on next-day delivery. Along with a free pen!

So an unreserved recommendation goes out to

for excellent service. Thanks to all here for the helpful advice.

Reply to
Lobster

I thought the OP had, perhaps not

Its unlikely to get to court because it makes zero economic sense for the s= eller. If it does, the fact that its failed in normal use is evidence of it= being faulty on day one. In practice small claims tend to side more with t= he consumer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would agree. However, if it went to court, it would be up to the OP to prove the point. If sufficient numbers of consumers do start using the courts then it may make some cases worth defending.

I suspect only because a significant number of cases go uncontested.

Reply to
Mark

They've always been very good for me too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, they are bloody good.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Result. And it is always worth naming the good ones.

Reply to
ARW

More to do with presumptions about expertise I think

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've sued e-spares in the past. Not always the cheapest but always worth a look when after spares.

Reply to
bert

So did you win?

(Or did you actually just "use" them? :) )

Reply to
Lobster