Replace wireless doorbell with a wired one

True plus the mains transformer uses power continuously. Not just when the bell is pressed.

Reply to
harry

Seems significant.

Reply to
John

As significant as the cost of the batteries?

But I actually want an illuminated bell push. Try doing that with batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Agreed - my bulb has burned out!

Reply to
John

I have a small LED lamp with PIR at the front door - runs for over a year on 3 x AA batteries.

It could be a quite noticeable if the two were combined so that the bell push illuminated when someone approaches it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Strontium aluminate not sufficient? (Obviously, it might not be, but a thought to avoid the need for an electrically driven light emitter.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Why I fitted LEDs to mine. They do have their uses. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you unplug everything in your house when not in use? Things like the cooker which has a clock etc? If not, I'd be most surprised if a decent bell mains power supply makes any measurable difference to your bill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A small SMPS - eg phone charger - uses less than 0.5 watts no-load, often much less (let's say 0.25W). By my reckoning that's 4.4 or 2.2 kWh per year. Current cost around 60 or 30 pence per annum.

And even cheaper of course if you can take power from a pre-existing supply (eg alarm).

Reply to
Robin

Ours won't light up as it's connected to an input on an Arduino!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I intend it as nothing but a compliment when I say that I'd expected pushing your doorbell to cause (among other things internally) the caller to hear externally something like

Robin

That's a good one. I'm actually in the middle of setting up the hardware for playing an arbitrary MP3 file. Not sure what to use yet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you use multicore wire such as alarm cable then an illuminating LED with appropriate resistor can be wired to the power supply terminals of the Arduino for permanent illumination or to an output of the Arduino if you want it to illuminate when the switch is pressed.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I have an old house with a wired bell (through the door's wooden frame), but it uses batteries. They last for many years.

One factor that nobody's mentioned is that an old-fashioned bell gives an indication of how desperate the caller is, as the length of ring (or gap between ding-dong) depends on how long the bellpush is pressed, unlike wireless devices that trigger a standard response.

There is a slight drawback in that if the caller can hear the bell then it may well govern how long the bell gets pressed. In my case with a small echoey hall it's so loud it can make the caller remove the finger instantly, and then the ring is too short for me to notice it faintly upstairs. I've fitted a slave bell upstairs now to solve that problem.

Reply to
Dave W

Oh, there are 12 cores in the cable and I'm only using 6 so far. I might do that at some point.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My bellpush must me over 100 years old

and my doorbell must be 50

But things are never quite what they seem.

Graham.

The really old ones are mechanical. A system of rigid steel wires and bellcranks. (What they were invented for)

The bells to summon the serfs were similar too.

Reply to
harry

Here is a proper bell battery. I came across one of these still in use many years ago.

harry

you don't even need multicore. Just run enough i to illuminate it, either from an output or permanently, the bellpush shorts it giving the duino its input signal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The beller being able to hear the bell is necessary, otherwise you get a bunch of human behaviour problems.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr