Converting a wired to a wireless doorbell

I'm trying to remove surface mounted wires in the hall (1905 single skin brick built house, limited trunking opportunities available, don't ask!) so the wired doorbell is coming out.

However, SWMBO likes the very loud traditional ringer that the existing one has. It is powered from a transformer which outputs 8V /

1A. Is there likely to be any product which would allow me to convert the existing bell into a wireless doorbell system? Presumably a bog standard 9V battery would ring the bell sufficiently?

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

not afaik

yes, if its not an ac only bell.

Enamelled copper wire will work in 1mm of plaster channel depth.

NT

I suppose one could make the connections into a feature, like some kind of metal decorative rail with another wire inside it.

However, I'd imagine with a bit of ingenuity, and some knowledge one might be able to operate a relay instead of the electronic ding inside a bought radio doorbell. Many of these seem to be designed with portable in mind, ie, the dinger is worn for the hard of hearing. I understand there are devices which control vibrators as in mobile phones or lighte for the Deaf, so a look into this kind of product might be a rich vein, but they won't be cheap.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm thinking it can't be that hard to convert a wireless doorbell into some sort of remote controlled relay.

A quick search turned up this, as the first obvious result:

Reply to
chris French

Cheers. I'm thinking that the answer might be just to buy a new one that just works loud enough! I wired up a 9V battery to the bell last night and that works (unsurprisingly!), but for =A320 or so it seems you can pick up wireless doorbells from B&Q, so I'll go and test out their display today and see where I get to (or rather, whether SWMBO is happy. At least I can do side by side comparisons - "can you hear this one, how about this one" by using the 9V battery.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Could you use the cheapest wireless doorbell you can find and hack the bell part to trigger the existing bell? I would have thought that switching or solid state switching should be possible.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I'm sure I have heard of MP3 doorbells. Just record the old one and upload :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew

Perhaps not quite what you want, but see:

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Cheers, yes I'd spotted those but as you say they don't really do what I want. I suppose all I need is a wireless doorbell and "relay" which I can then use as the switched power supply for the bell itself.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
larkim